Oiler (Temporary) 2 positions
CUNY John Jay College in New York
|Date Posted||February 3, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Oiler (Temporary) 2 positions
Job ID: 10062
Job Title Name: Oiler
Contract Title: Oiler
Position Type: Temporary
Closing Date: 3/1/2014
College website: http://www.jjay.cuny.edu
- Under direct supervision is responsible for the lubrication of power plant, pumping and/or construction equipment; performs related work.
- Lubricates and cleans pumps, engines, blowers, compressors, motors, gears, ejectors and other operating equipment.
- Assists in the operation, maintenance and repair of this equipment.
- Reads meters, gauges and other operating equipment.
- Keeps logs.
- Operates lubricant filtering and purifying equipment; maintains lubricant inventory.
- May be designated to inspect and service swimming pools and building safety equipment.
- May operate a motor vehicle in the performance of assigned duties.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The University has announced a civil service test for the Oiler (CUNY) title, which was held on January 25, 2014 (Exam #4011). Applicants should have already taken this exam. When a civil service list is established, the College is required to make appointments from the certified list to fill all positions including those held by provisional and/or temporary employees. Applicants selected for this position will be required to submit proof of applying for scheduled exam. This position is designated an essential employee position. Essential employees are those required to report to work even when the University and/or College operations are suspended. Oilers at John Jay College are responsible to service, maintain, and repair noted equipment in the operational plant.
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings.
1. Three (3) years' full-time satisfactory experience in the lubrication, maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment; OR
2. One and one-half (1 and 1/2) years of experience as described in 1 above plus graduation from an approved trade, technical or vocational high school or an approved internship program; OR
3. One (1) year of experience as described in 1 above plus an associate degree from an accredited school in mechanical technology. NOTE: For appointment to certain positions, possession of a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York may be required. There may be certain age requirements to obtain this license. Employees must maintain the Class B Commercial Driver License during their employment. Employees assigned to inspect and service swimming pools and building safety equipment duties, must obtain certificates of fitness for: sprinklers, standpipe, fire guard and swimming pool operators, within six (6) months of their appointments.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please visit: www.jjay.cuny.edu/jobs. Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document..
March 1, 2014
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.