Associate Vice President of Student Affairs
Cal State University - Fullerton - CSUF in California
|Date Posted||January 29, 2014|
California State University, Fullerton
Associate Vice President of Student Affairs
Student Retention Cluster
California State, Fullerton (Cal State Fullerton), a large, comprehensive urban university with a global outlook,announces a national search for an experienced, energetic and visionary Associate Vice President for Student Affairs (AVP). The AVP, reportingdirectly to the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA), provides leadership and direction in the Student Affairs division, is a member of the VPSA Management Team and Student Affairs Executive Committee, and administers policies affecting the academic and developmental needs of students. Campus-wide responsibilities include collaborating with the office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President of Administration and Finance, Vice President for University Advancement, Vice President for Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion, Vice President for Information Technology, and other units to enrich student life.
The offices and functions that fall within the responsibility of the AVP are: (1) Athletic Academic Services; (2) Career Center; (3) Center for Internships and Community Engagement; (4) Counseling and Psychological Services; (5) Disability Support Services, Scholars and Scholarships; (6) Student Academic Services; (7) Student Health Center; and (8) Veteran Student Services.
About Cal State Fullerton
California State University, Fullerton is a major regional university in a vital, flourishing area that includes Orange County, metropolitan Los Angeles and the expanding Inland Empire. The beautiful, 236-acre campus is set in Fullerton in north Orange County, about 25 miles from downtown Los Angeles and about 21 miles from Southern California’s famous beaches.
Cal State Fullerton has more than 38,000 students and approximately 1,800 full- and part-time faculty members. The University offers 107 degree programs in eight colleges. Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, CSUF is fourth in the nation for the number of bachelor's degrees awarded to minority students and first in California for the number of bachelor's degrees awarded to Hispanics.
To learn more about Cal State Fullerton, please visit the university’s website at www.fullerton.edu.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and direction to the student retention cluster with special responsibility for the eight departments and three scholarship programs, which report directly to the incumbent.
- Improves services to students through coordination with other University divisions, and enhances the student experience on campus through the promotion of cooperative working relationships which foster access, persistence, graduation, and career placement.
- Promotes and supports the conceptual understanding of the role of Student Affairs in a complex and rapidly changing environment.
- Participates in developing campus-wide policies and procedures, which enrich student life while supporting both academics and development areas.
- Participates and serves on campus-wide committees to represent Student Affairs and works with community groups, Governmental and non-profit agencies, as well as private sector/corporations/businesses to provide support and develop partnerships which enhance productivity of the campus community.
- Serves instrumentally in promoting Cal State Fullerton as a Hispanic Serving Institution and Asian/Pacific Islander Serving Institution.
- Represents Cal State Fullerton at various community relations events.
- Seeks grant funding sources, raises funds for scholarships, and represents the President and VPSA at various community events.
Candidates are required to have (1) an earned doctoral degree in counseling, psychology, higher education administration, student personnel, or a closely related field; and (2) at least seven years of administrative experience in higher education, including both supervisory and budgetary responsibilities.
- Demonstrated management/administrative skills (for policy, budget, supervisory, and program development and evaluation responsibilities).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain interpersonal professional relationships and excellent analytical and written communication and presentation skills.
- Extensive knowledge of higher education, student affairs philosophy, best practices, and the policies and procedures of a higher education institution.
- Knowledge of emerging trends and needs in the student population.
- Demonstrated experience working with and advocating for ethnically and culturally diverse student populations.
The successful candidate will be visionary but practical, experienced, innovative, adaptable, and a proven leader who has solid operational knowledge of and demonstrated, documented success in leading and managing the major elements of the Student Retention Cluster.
This is a full-time, 12-month salaried position. Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience; Cal State Fullerton offers a generous fringe benefit package.
Application Procedure and Timeline
The University has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC, in this search process. For a confidential discussion about this opportunity prior to applying or nominating, contact Dr. Almeda Jacks at email@example.com or (212) 542-3218.
Applications should consist of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a list of 3-5 references with full contact information, none of whom will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. All application materials must be submitted electronically to Recruiting@KeelingAssociates.com. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
California State University, Fullerton is an Equal Opportunity/Title IX/503/504/VEVRA/ADA Employer
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to Recruiting@KeelingAssociates.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.