|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||January 29, 2014|
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Reporting to the Dean of the Yale School of Medicine, the Chief of Staff will serve as a senior aide to the Dean with responsibility for directing all facets of the administration and operations of the Office of the Dean. The Chief of Staff will manage the flow of people and information through the Deans office and represent the Deans interests through contacts with other Yale offices, Yale-New Haven Hospital offices, other academic institutions, YSM department chairs, faculty, staff, students, alumni, dignitaries, and visitors from other countries and corporations. Functions include:
1. Administrative: Plan, direct, and manage the administrative functions of the Deans Office with responsibility for the supervision, training, and development of two staff members. Work closely with the senior management team to ensure communication and follow- through with various projects and initiatives in a timely and efficient manner. Serve as a confidential resource and liaison for the Dean regarding developing issues and concerns. Manage the administrative activities of the office. Design and implement policies, procedures, and systems to enhance office production and efficiency, including tracking systems for workflow. Prepare Deans Office correspondence, reports, nominations, recommendations, and other materials. Compose substantive correspondence and written material, providing signature-ready work. Maintaining the highest level of confidentiality, screen and manage the Deans incoming correspondence.
2. Calendar Management: Oversee management of the Deans calendar to ensure that the Deans time is directed to the highest- priority activities. Anticipate requests for the Deans time from a variety of sources, including School and University offices and departments and outside organizations. Ensure that meeting materials, presentations, speeches, etc. are prepared or assembled in advance of the meeting or event, and that preparations for all future calendar events are on schedule.
3. Special Projects: In conjunction with staff, coordinate events and special projects for the Deans Office. Serve as liaison with various offices for annual activities and events, including orientation, reunions, Commencement, etc.
4. Staff Management: Responsible for the supervision, training, and development of (2) C&T staff members. Determine priorities, standards, and parameters of work to be accomplished.
- Bachelors Degree in a related field and three to five years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A dedicated and self-motivated colleague with a positive and can-do attitude that supports the missions of the school. Ability to represent the School well in working collegially with peers and colleagues within and outside the University.
- Possessing sound independent judgment, intuition, and common sense with excellent attention to detail and ability to prioritize and handle many tasks simultaneously in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to interact with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and dignitaries with a highly professional demeanor and excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to deal with complex issues, crises, and sensitive situations that require confidentiality. Highly developed oral and written communication skills. Able to craft and articulate messages for various audiences; able to craft messages from the Dean.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office programs and Internet search engines.
- Preferred: Bachelors Degree and 7-10 years of experience in progressively responsible management situations of an administrative and/or supervisory capacity or an equivalent combination of experience and education. Experience in senior level academic administration or comparable executive setting preferred.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at www.Yale.edu/jobs - the STARS req ID for this position is 24107BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs