|Date Posted||January 28, 2014|
|Type||Tenured, tenure track|
Carnegie Mellon University’s Institute for Software Research in the School of Computer Science and its School of Information Systems & Management at the Heinz College invite applications for a teaching-track position beginning in the fall 2014 semester, or earlier. This is a career-oriented, fixed and renewable non-tenure appointment for teaching courses and managing student projects at the professional master’s level.
Applicants for the position should have an M.S. or Ph.D., preferably in computer science, software engineering, or a related field. We are seeking demonstrated excellence in teaching technical courses, and several years of professional experience in software engineering. Teaching-track appointments are typically at the rank of Assistant Teaching Professor, with the possibility of promotion to the ranks of Associate Teaching Professor and Full Teaching Professor. Teaching-track ranks are not tenured.
Preferred qualifications include broad industry experience, teaching experience at a university or in industry, and familiarity with current software engineering practices and methods. We are particularly interested in candidates with teaching experience in one or more of the following areas: distributed systems; machine learning; distributed data systems architectures; data science (big data, data mining, visualization, warehousing, analytics, and empirical methods); very large information systems (VLIS); and systems engineering. Ideally the candidate should also have familiarity with a number of project management practices and methodologies such as PMBOK and CMMi.
How to Apply
- A complete application packet will include the following:
- A cover letter addressing the required qualifications for this position.
- Curriculum Vitae
- A one page summary of the applicant’s teaching experience.
- A two page statement describing the applicant's teaching philosophy, and ideas for future directions for software engineering education.
Additionally, the applicant should arrange to have three letters of reference sent directly to the ISR-Heinz Search Committee, c/o Margaret Gasdick, Institute for Software Research, Wean Hall 5121, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15213. Complete candidate packets can be emailed to: email@example.com
Review of applications will begin May 1, 2014 and will continue until an acceptable candidate is found.
Required Application Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Summary of Teaching Experience
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Letters of Recommendation
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.