Assistant/Associate/Full Professor in Sustainability
Rochester Institute of Technology in New York
|Date Posted||January 24, 2014|
|Type||Tenured, tenure track|
Rochester Institute of Technology, Golisano Institute for Sustainability
FACULTY POSITION POSTING FORM ©
Position Title: Instructional Faculty
Faculty Rank: Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor / Open Rank
Faculty Type: Tenure Track / Tenured
Department: Golisano Institute for Sustainability
PC# 10060 Requisition# 851BR
Anticipated Start Date: August 13, 2014
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Golisano Institute for Sustainability at the Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester NY) invites applications for a tenure-track or tenured position of Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Sustainability. The successful applicant will be a leading expert or demonstrate the potential to be a leading expert in one or more of the four areas of research expertise at GIS:
1. Sustainable Production Systems: improving product system sustainability through technical practices, business structures, and policy aimed at creating closed-loop, environmentally friendly and economically viable materials processing and manufacturing systems;
2. Sustainable Energy Systems: developing advanced energy generation and storage systems through research on nano-materials and processes, renewable energy devices and systems, or assessing the sustainability implications of emerging energy technologies;
3. Sustainable Mobility: developing alternative fuel and propulsion system technologies for current/future transport systems and evaluating their technological viability and environmental or economic impact;
4. Eco-IT: design and operation of energy-efficient data centers, smart buildings, computing for sustainability, including challenges associated with big data and ubiquitous sensing, and assessing the sustainability implications of Information Technology (IT).
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated record or demonstrated potential in graduate teaching and mentoring, working in multidisciplinary teams, and publishing peer-reviewed, scholarly research. Demonstrated success or significant potential to succeed in securing external funding to support research with PhD students is critical. While candidates with experience in one or more of the topic areas above will be considered, priority will be given to candidates with demonstrated research experience in sustainable industrial development (including manufacturing, design and process development), closed-loop supply chain and reverse logistics, economics related to sustainable technology, built environment, or sustainable aspects of micro-grids and smart grids.
Duties of the positions include conducting sponsored research, mentoring graduate students, and developing and teaching one or more graduate core courses and electives in the Sustainability Ph.D. and Sustainable Systems M.S. programs. Core courses include the Fundamentals of Sustainability Science, Industrial Ecology, Risk Analysis, Economics of Sustainability, Multi-criteria Decision Analysis, and Technology, Policy, and Sustainability. Additional information can be found at www.sustainability.rit.edu.
We are seeking an individual who has the ability and interest in contributing to a community committed to Student Centeredness; Professional Development and Scholarship; Integrity and Ethics; Respect, Diversity and Pluralism; Innovation and Flexibility; and Teamwork and Collaboration. Select to view links to RIT’s core values, honor code, and diversity commitment.
THE COLLEGE/ DEPARTMENT:
The Golisano Institute for Sustainability (GIS) at Rochester Institute of Technology is a leading research center in the burgeoning field of sustainability, conducting over $11 million of external sponsored research per year. The Institute is currently staffed by six academic faculty, six research faculty, and over 60 professional staff scientists, engineers and administrative support personnel. GIS also recognizes and is committed to the value of a diverse graduate student community, with female students comprising over 40% of the current cohort, and many students originating from outside the U.S. The Institute houses several research centers within 150,000 square feet of research, laboratory, teaching and meeting space in two buildings, including the New York State Center of Excellence in Sustainable Manufacturing, Center for Remanufacturing and Resource Recovery, Center for Sustainable Mobility, New York State Pollution Prevention Institute, and NanoPower Research Laboratory. The flagship of GIS is the recently dedicated Sustainability Hall, a $38 million, 84,000 ft2 facility dedicated to the GIS academic program. The building funding included a $13.1 million award from the highly competitive National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) construction grant program. Sustainability Hall, now being evaluated for LEED platinum certification, will serve as a center for sustainability research, technology transfer, education and outreach and provide a state-of-the-art showcase for green construction and design. It incorporates a unique “transparent infrastructure,” a “smart” microgrid, and a computing data center that demonstrate the use of sustainable building technologies and energy systems. The facility is serviced using a variety of sustainable technologies, including a 400 kW phosphoric acid fuel cell, 40 kW photovoltaic array, wind turbines, geothermal wells, and a green roof which enables rainwater harvesting.
THE UNIVERSITY AND ROCHESTER COMMUNITY:
RIT is a national leader in professional and career-oriented education. Talented, ambitious, and creative students of all cultures and backgrounds from all 50 states and more than 100 countries have chosen to attend RIT. Founded in 1829, Rochester Institute of Technology is a privately endowed, coeducational university with nine colleges and institutes emphasizing career education and experiential learning. With approximately 15,000 undergraduates and 3,000 graduate students, RIT is one of the largest private universities in the nation. RIT offers a rich array of degree programs in engineering, science, business, and the arts, and is home to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf. RIT has been honored by The Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great Colleges to Work For” for four years. RIT is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples by our membership in the Upstate NY HERC.
Rochester, located on Lake Ontario, is the 79th largest city in the United States and the third largest city in New York State. The Greater Rochester region, which is home to nearly one million people, is rich in cultural and ethnic diversity, with a population comprised of approximately 16% African and Latin Americans and another 7% of international origin. It is also home to the largest deaf community per capita in the U.S. Rochester ranks 3rd best metropolitan regions for Raising a Family" by Forbes Magazine; 6th among 379 metropolitan areas as “Best Places to Live in America” by Places Rated Almanac; 1st in Expansion Management Magazine’s ranking of metropolitan areas having the best “Quality of Life in the Nation”; and is among Essence Magazine’s “Top 10 Cities for Black Families.”
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Assistant Professor Rank:
• Ph.D. or equivalent degree by the time of appointment.
• A strong scholarly agenda and record of collaborative scholarly research related to sustainability, as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publication.
• Demonstrated potential to secure external funding resources.
• Ability to advise graduate students and excel at graduate-level teaching.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience working in a multidisciplinary environment with an appreciation for, and commitment to, a systems approach to sustainability.
• Particular emphasis will be given to candidates with a research record or trajectory that complements the four areas of research expertise at GIS and the potential to contribute to the development and teaching of GIS core and elective courses.
• Candidates who have the potential to complement, strengthen, or expand the Institute’s extensive network of partnerships and sponsor relationships with major international manufacturing firms, government agencies, national labs, and domestic or international research Universities will be regarded favorably.
Associate/Full Professor Rank:
• In addition to the required minimum qualifications above, candidates seeking the rank of associate or full professor must have a demonstrated record of accomplishment related to sustainability, including external funding, peer-reviewed publications, teaching excellence, successful mentorship of Ph.D. students and/or employees, and strong service commensurate with an associate/full professor.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty. Search: 851BR. Please submit your cover letter addressing the listed qualifications; a curriculum vita; a research statement, a teaching statement; a “contribution to diversity” statement; and the names and contact information of three references.
You can contact the search committee with questions on the position through the committee chair, Prof. Thomas Trabold at email@example.com .
The review of applications will begin January 2, 2014 and continue until acceptable candidates have been identified. Candidates are encouraged to apply by February 15, 2014.
RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientations, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities.
Copyright ©2013 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://apptrkr.com/431844