|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||January 24, 2014|
|Type||Non tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The Department of Dairy Science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW-Madison) seeks a Dairy Management Specialist to conduct applied research and carry out statewide extension programming while based at the UW-Madison Marshfield Agricultural Research Station. The Marshfield Agricultural Research Station features a state-of-the-art heifer research facility with capacity for 550 dairy replacement heifers, has more than 600 acres of cropland, and is home to the UW-Madison Soil and Forage Analysis Laboratory. The successful candidate is expected to develop an internationally recognized, externally funded applied research program that focuses on one or more aspects of dairy heifer management, nutrition, physiology, or genetics. In addition, the candidate is expected to develop innovative, proactive extension programs that will effectively serve the needs of Wisconsin's $26 billion dairy industry. The Marshfield Experiment Station is located in the heart of the Wisconsin dairy industry providing ample opportunities for on-farm research collaborations due to its proximity to nearly 25% of the 11,000 dairy farms in the state. The candidate will collaborate with campus-based faculty and staff in the Department of Dairy Science and other academic units within the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and the School of Veterinary Medicine, as well as county-based extension faculty located throughout Wisconsin. The Marshfield Agricultural Experiment Station is also home to the USDA-ARS Institute for Environmental Integrated Dairy Management, which includes a state-of-the-art research laboratory and housing and milking facilities for 128 lactating cows. The candidate will have extensive opportunities to collaborate with USDA-ARS scientists at this facility, as they carry out research focused on the development of environmentally sound dairy farm management practices, as well as scientists at the USDA-ARS Dairy Forage Research Center in Madison. This is a 12-month, non-tenure-track academic staff position in the Scientist track (Assistant, Associate, or Senior level, depending on qualifications and experience).
Official Title: SENIOR SCIENTIST(E10BN) or ASSOCIATE SCIENTIST(E10FN) or ASSISTANT SCIENTIST(E10LN)
Degree and area of specialization: PhD in Animal Science, Dairy Science, Veterinary Medicine or related field or DVM with formal research training
Work experience: Post-doctoral fellowship or post-graduate work experience is desired
Specific duties include:
- Identifying relevant research problems (20%)
- Designing and conducting effective experiments (20%)
- Writing research manuscripts and extension publications (15%)
- Outreach: Preparing and delivering educational programs for dairy farmers, custom heifer growers and/or dairy industry workers (20%)
- Successfully competing for extramural funds (10%)
- Help mentor graduate students and undergraduate research interns (5%)
- Provide occasional guest lectures or laboratory activities (5%)
- Participate in departmental, college, university, and community service activities as appropriate (5%)
- Application review will begin on April 1, 2014and search will continue until suitable candidate is found
- Prefix determination will be made based on qualifications and experience
- A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring
- A period of evaluation will be required
Employee Class: Academic Staff
Full time salary rate: Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience with a minimum of $70,000 annual (12 months). An attractive fringe benefit package is included.
Anticipated begin date: 01 June 2014
Applicants should submit an application package including:
- A letter of application summarizing their qualifications and interests in this position,
- Curriculum vitae,
- A set of official transcripts
- Statement describing their research plans (max. 2 pages) and extension experience (max. 1 page), and
- Arrange for three letters of reference to be submitted directly to the Chair of the Search Committee
Application, questions and other correspondence should be directed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Victor E. Cabrera, Department of Dairy Science, 1675 Observatory Drive, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI 53706 (608-265-8506 / firstname.lastname@example.org). Submit full application package referring to Position Vacancy List #78525.
NOTE: Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, information regarding the names of applicants must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed confidentiality.
UWMadison provides equal employment opportunity for all persons and is in compliance with State and Federal regulations.
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Additional information: Dairy Science Department website: http://dysci.wisc.edu/
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information.)
Official UW-Madison announcement: http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/WebListing/Unclassified/PVLSummary.aspx?pvl_num=78525
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to email@example.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.