Associate Vice President for International Studies
St. Cloud State University in Minnesota
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||January 23, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
St. Cloud State University (SCSU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Vice President for International Studies. The University seeks a forward-thinking, dynamic individual who can provide leadership and strategic coordination to its international activities and initiatives. The Center for International Studies includes International Student and Scholar Services, Education Abroad, and International Student Recruitment and Admissions.
On its campus along the Mississippi River 70 miles northwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul, St. Cloud State University is a community of 16,000 students participating in challenging academic experiences and vibrant campus life. St. Cloud State students prepare for life, work and citizenship by exploring the world around them and making it better taking knowledge out of the classroom and into the community and the global workplace to make an impact. St. Cloud State has built its identity around four learning commitments essential to a well-rounded education: active and applied learning, community engagement, sustainability and global and cultural understanding. These commitments complement a rigorous academic structure offering more than 200 majors, minors and pre-professional programs, 60 graduate programs and 240 student organizations. Now Minnesotas second largest university, St. Cloud State began as a normal school in 1869 and became St. Cloud State Teachers College in 1921. Bachelors degrees were first offered in 1925 and masters degrees in 1957. In 1975 the institution became St. Cloud State University, and in 2005 state universities were authorized to offer doctoral programs in applied fields of study. Doctorate of Education in Higher Education Administration and Doctorate of Education in Educational Administration and Leadership programs are offered at St. Cloud State, which is the largest of 31 institutions within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) system. A diverse mix of students from Midwestern towns and U.S. metropolitan areas are learning alongside more than 1,000 international students from 82 countries.
- Senator Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization- The award recognizes colleges and universities that are making significant, well-planned, well-executed, and well-documented progress toward comprehensive internationalization - especially those using innovative and creative approaches.
- Heiskell Award for Best Practices in International Partnerships - SCSU and the Universidad de Concepción, Chile, formed a relationship in 2001 that turned into a multi-dimensional collaboration. The strategic partnership has made significant contributions to the curricular and co-curricular experiences of students from both institutions and has attracted the financial and training support of a major health provider in Minnesota.
- Accessibility that leads to successproviding access to a quality education with a commitment to individual student success;
- Character that reflects our regionproviding a program portfolio that reflects the character of the region with a commitment to meeting the needs of the community;
- Education that drives knowledge into actionproviding students with an education that prepares them for work and for life;
- A portfolio of distinctive programs building on programs that have gained distinction through regional opportunities, specialized expertise or strategic choice.
SCSU is located in the city of St. Cloud (http://stc.stcloudchamber.com), about one hour northwest of the Twin Cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis. The Universitys primary market is the seven-county metropolitan area with a population of approximately 2.8 million. Approximately 85 percent of SCSU students are from Minnesota. St. Cloud and SCSU are centrally located and draw students from all corners of the state.
- Provide overall leadership, direction, and supervision for the Center for International Studies, including the management of daily administrative functions as they apply to globalization and study abroad programs.
- Lead and manage the implementation of strategic plans related to internationalization, including the creation and facilitation of consultative and governance structures.
- Work with other units to promote and showcase SCSUs Internationalization work.
- In collaboration with the President, Provost, and deans, facilitate the development of a strategic vision for international programming at the University and strategies for achieving that vision. Provide expert advice to the President, Provost, and other University officials in all matters relating to the internationalization of SCSU.
- Develop policies and operational procedures, partnerships, communication pathways with multiple offices on campus to enhance the Universitys ability to implement its strategic directions related to internationalization and global engagement.
- Serve and support academic units international strategies, activities and initiatives. Prepare, negotiate, and monitor, with the president, provost and/or deans, partnership and collaborative agreements between SCSU and international partner institutions as well as other international entities.
- Work with academic and other units as appropriate to facilitate the development and promotion of new education abroad, exchange, and internship programs. Identify and promote opportunities, such as Fulbright and other sponsored programs, to the wider campus community.
- Provide regulatory (federal, state, university) guidance and compliance oversight related to international activities and initiatives.
- Develop, implement, and oversee marketing strategies for international student recruitment and retention.
- Budgetary management and oversight for activities and initiatives related to the division. Explore and develop opportunities for grants and fundraising in conjunction with related units on campus.
- Collaborate with SEVIS designees. Maintain responsibility for University compliance with policies and guidelines as they pertain to international students and scholars as well as education abroad. Oversee and lead continuous improvement of activities related to student recruitment, policies/procedures, academic and international student scholarships, education abroad, and orientation programs.
- Masters degree in related field.
- Five years of senior level experience related to international education, including study abroad, international student and scholar services, and international student recruitment.
- Successful experience leading and evaluating professional staff.
- Successful experience fostering an open and collaborative environment for faculty and staff.
- Evidence of the ability to work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Doctoral degree.
- Evidence of relevant continuing professional education and affiliations with professional organizations.
- Current knowledge and understanding of federal visa regulations and familiarity with international higher education systems and educational markets abroad.
- Administrative experience in international agreement negotiation and financial management.
- Successful experience obtaining external funding.
- Proven leadership in faculty professional development in relation to international education.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm