Dean, College of Science and Engineering
St. Cloud State University in Minnesota
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||January 22, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Date of appointment:
July 1, 2014
The College of Science and Engineering, which houses the School of Computing, Engineering and Environment, is comprised of 8 departments (Biology, Chemistry and Physics, Mathematics and Statistics, Computer Science and Information Technology, Atmospheric and Hydrological Sciences, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Environmental and Technological Studies, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) that offer 29 undergraduate programs, 15 pre-professional programs, 9 graduate programs and 19 minors. The faculty are actively engaged in the discovery of knowledge in their disciplines and in converging technologies that result from interdisciplinary research.
The Dean of the College of Science & Engineering provides leadership, planning, coordination, and management relative to all personnel, programs, and services in the College of Science & Engineering. The Dean directly supervises the Associate Dean and Director of the School of Computing, Engineering, and the Environment, administrative and professional staff, and faculty. The Dean establishes relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the College is meeting the needs of key constituent groups. The Dean serves as a member of the Academic Affairs Council and the Presidents Management Team. This position has responsibility for all aspects of successful functioning for the College of Science & Engineering.
- Provide overall leadership and direction for the College of Science & Engineering, including fiscal planning and management, and supervision of faculty and staff. Ensure compliance with MnSCU policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreements, and other federal and state rules and regulations.
- Make recommendations relative to the recruitment, appointment, retention, promotion, and tenure of faculty, staff, and students within the College. Make recommendations regarding faculty applications for sabbatical leave and for faculty improvement grants.
- Provide leadership and coordination of student recruitment and retention strategies, faculty relations, curriculum availability, and program quality. Coordinate the development and improvement of curricula and programs within the College, including program review and accreditation efforts.
- Represent the College of Science & Engineering on local, state, national, and international professional groups and stakeholders. Represent the College of Science & Engineering on various University administrative councils and committees.
- Provide leadership and coordination of the Applied Research and Development Office and the Animal Use and Care Committee. Oversee and monitor Chemical Hygiene.
- Act as a liaison between the faculty, department chairs, and program directors and the University President and Provost.
- Monitor the use of physical facilities allocated to the College of Science & Engineering.
Employment for this position is covered by the MnSCU (Minnesota State Colleges and Universities) Personnel Plan for Administrators which can be found at:
On its campus along the Mississippi River 70 miles northwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul, St. Cloud State University is a community of 16,000 students participating in challenging academic experiences and vibrant campus life. St. Cloud State students prepare for life, work and citizenship by exploring the world around them and making it better taking knowledge out of the classroom and into the community and the global workplace to make an impact. St. Cloud State has built its identity around four learning commitments essential to a well-rounded education: active and applied learning, community engagement, sustainability and global and cultural understanding. These commitments complement a rigorous academic structure offering more than 200 majors, minors and pre-professional programs, 60 graduate programs and 240 student organizations. Now Minnesotas second largest university, St. Cloud State began as a normal school in 1869 and became St. Cloud State Teachers College in 1921. Bachelors degrees were first offered in 1925 and masters degrees in 1957. In 1975 the institution became St. Cloud State University, and in 2005 state universities were authorized to offer doctoral programs in applied fields of study. Doctorate of Education in Higher Education Administration and Doctorate of Education in Educational Administration and Leadership programs are offered at St. Cloud State, which is the largest of 31 institutions within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) system. A diverse mix of students from Midwestern towns and U.S. metropolitan areas are learning alongside more than 1,000 international students from 82 countries. Additional information on St. Cloud State University can be found at: http://www.stcloudstate.edu
Qualifications and experience:
- Doctoral degree in a discipline represented by the College
- Ten years of experience, including postsecondary teaching and administrative experience in higher education.
- Evidence of the ability to work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Experience with accreditation processes
- Successful leadership experience, including supervision of faculty
- Knowledge of federal and state labor-management relations rules and legislation
- Demonstrated competence as a teacher and scholar
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively work with others with diverse backgrounds and perspectives
To apply for this position, please continue the process at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm
Application Review begins March 3, 2014; position is open until filled.
Only complete applications will be considered. A complete application will include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three (3) current, professional references
- · Copies of Transcript(s) (undergraduate/graduate/PhD); if advanced to finalist, official transcripts will be required.
Monica C. Devers, Search Committee Chair
Dean, School of Health and Human Services
St. Cloud State University is committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. To promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply, including minorities, women, LGBT, persons with disabilities and veterans. St. Cloud State University is a member of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm