|Deadline||February 15, 2014|
|Date Posted||January 17, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The Director, Media Planning will report directly to the Associate VP, Marketing and have a dotted line to the Chief Marketing Officer for Indiana University. The Director will provide strategic and tactical leadership for Indiana University's integrated media efforts.
The Director will be responsible for managing and overseeing all aspects of integrated media planning and execution from start to finish. The Director will develop strategic media plans based on strong target audience and media mix analyses, and deliver media plans that effectively and efficiently maximize exposure.
The Director will liaise on a regular basis with all key central marketing leaders, the IU Communications internal agency, external vendors, and internal university clients (i.e., schools, units, and regional campuses). The position will build relationships with clients, interact with clients on an ongoing basis to ensure assigned projects are progressing as per schedule, and identify business development opportunities. The Director will also have the opportunity to recommend, build, and manage the key external media planning vendor network for the university.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers all IU integrated media plans, including state, national and international plans.
- Responsible for all media activity including research, development, execution, and management of media plans; setting objectives, identifying target audiences, and building media plan strategy/mix.
- Gathers and analyzes media research and media channels to help in preparation of media plan/recommendation.
- Presents media plans to IU leadership and key internal clients.
- Initiates and co-ordinates the total media buying process and maintains stewardship of the media plan.
- Works with team to monitor, analyze and report on campaign results and make regular recommendation on how to optimize campaign performance.
- Builds and supervises external agency network.
- Negotiates favorable media pricing/optimize media spend.
- Analyzes competitive activity in the marketplace and translates learnings into actionable insights.
- Participates in the ongoing development of IU brand strategy and creative development.
- Collaborates with internal project teams.
- Coaches, mentors and develops marketing colleagues, clients and other team members on all of the above.
Minimum education: the minimum education required to perform the above primary role of this position.
Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Business, Economics, Advertising or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
Minimum experience: the minimum years of applicable and relevant work experience that would be necessary to effectively perform in the position.
- Five years of relevant media planning experience at an advertising/media agency; 10+ years preferred.
- Higher Education and/or Consumer Goods experience a big plus.
- Extensive experience with the media planning process and delivery of effective plans.
- Operational experience and comfort in planning both traditional (i.e., print, TV) and non-traditional (i.e., digital, mobile) media platforms.
- Media vendor relationship building and negotiation experience.
- Knowledge of media planning tools, including Simmons, MRI, Scarborough, Kantar, etc.
Required Knowledge, skills and abilities: specific knowledge, skills, abilities, and special licenses needed to effectively perform in the position (software, professional certifications, drivers license, languages, etc.).
- Effective time management skills, ability to meet aggressive and changing deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills, must be able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in addition to well-developed interpersonal skills to manage client relationships and maintain a strong client service orientation.
- Highly motivated, self-directed and capable of working independently and as part of a functional team.
- Enjoy working in a team environment.
View all job listings and apply online at: jobs.iu.edu.
Indiana University is an equal employment opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.iu.edu/