|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||January 16, 2014|
Reports To: Director of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships
Appt. Type: Officer of Administration/1.0 FTE/Fixed-term/12-month/No Rank
Application Review Begins: February 10, 2014; position open until filled
Appt. Dates: April 1, 2014-June 30, 2014 and renewed annually
Salary Range: $75,000 - $90,000 annually
Reporting to the Director of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, this position provides leadership and direction and supervises staff while managing the day-to-day operational functions. The successful candidate works closely with the Director, the Associate Director for Compliance and the Associate Director for Scholarships to ensure that financial aid systems, processes, policies and procedures are in compliance with federal, state, institutional and foundation regulations and policies. This position also works with the Management Systems Coordinator to assure financial aid processes are in place and operating smoothly and efficiently.
The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships administers approximately $238m in federal, state, institutional and private funds each year. The office is staffed by 23 individuals committed to assisting University of Oregon students with their educational expenses. Candidates who promote and enhance diversity are strongly desired. The university provides excellent benefits, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance coverage, retirement plans, employee tuition rates and vacation and sick leave policies.
Compliance and Operations 80%
- Provides leadership and direction in planning, developing, organizing, administering, coordinating and supervising the overall administration and automated systems of the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (OSFAS).
- Manages and administers the technical and functional support of the Banner (Ellucian) system.
- Evaluates the office business processes to determine when changes are needed or customization to the Banner software are necessary to enhance the system functionality.
- Develops policies and procedures concerning the internal controls for the maintenance and enhancement of systems and software that support the automated functions of the OSFAS.
- Stays abreast of federal, state and university rules and regulations to make sure that appropriate procedures are in place to ensure compliance. Continuously reviews, researches and resolves office procedures and makes changes as appropriate. Provides recommendations to the Director.
- Ensures that funds disbursed to students result from decisions based on the students meeting all eligibility requirements for such funds to ensure program compliance and effective management of institutional, federal and external funds.
- Manages OSFAS use of the Talisma CRM system.
- Manages financial aid reporting responsibilities.
- Manages advising staff.
- Consultant to staff regarding computing, office policies and procedures and federal and state regulations.
- Coordinates financial aid administered by OSFAS with other resources available.
- Member of the Financial Aid Management Team that meets to set policy and strategic goals. Monitors and insures critical timelines are met and/or decisions made regarding operational issues.
- Writes Ad Hoc reports.
- In consultation with the director, develops and implements new technological initiatives to support the awarding of financial aid.
- Collaborates with the Enrollment Management Research staff to conduct research activities for the strategic use of financial aid dollars.
- Participates in state and national organizations to understand and to influence laws, policies, regulations and procedures that affect financial aid. Some travel involved.
Supervisory Duties 10%
- Directly supervises four assistant directors.
Student-Related Activities - 10%
- Counsels students and families about available financial aid and general student eligibility criteria.
- Participates in university outreach activities, speaking to groups of parents, students, high school counselors, etc; some travel involved.
- Routinely exercises professional judgment relative to confidential student situations.
Required experience: Master's Degree and four years experience in student financial aid; experience in the management and administration of a student aid enterprise application; supervisory experience; and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Preferred experience: experience with the financial aid module of the Banner (Ellucian) student system. The successful candidate must have: the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds and must not be in default in Title IV loans. Final candidate is subject to a criminal background check and must provide a copy of academic transcripts.
Send a letter that expresses your interest and summarizes your qualifications, a current resume, and the name, address, and phone number of three professional references to: Donna Schimmer, Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, 1278 University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403-1278 or firstname.lastname@example.org . To ensure consideration, please submit application materials by February 10, 2014. The position will remain open until filled.
Located 110 miles south of Portland, the University of Oregon has an enrollment of 24,500. TheEugenemetro area (pop. 215,000) is in a region noted for its dynamic quality of life and progressive cultural environment. We are about an hours drive from the Pacific coast and theCascade mountains. The University is an AAU research institution and a member of the Pac-12 conference.
An equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to email@example.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.