Mass Communications/Multimedia Journalism-Assistant, Associate or Full Professor & Department Chair
St. Cloud State University in Minnesota
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||January 16, 2014|
|Type||Tenured, tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Date of Appointment: August 20, 2014
The Department of Mass Communications at St. Cloud State University is seeking a faculty member, with the position open to all ranks (Assistant, Associate or Full), to teach multimedia journalism and serve as department chair in our developing program of media convergence. We seek candidates who bring multimedia journalism experience and a wide breadth of modern production skills to our new, state-of-the-art, digital HD television and multimedia production facilities. We also seek candidates with leadership experience to chair the Mass Communications Department, with 50% reassignment from teaching.* The Mass Communications Department is one of the largest programs in the university and boasts an extraordinary set of national award-winning extracurricular offerings such as UTVS Television, KVSC Radio, the University Chronicle Newspaper, and vibrant student organizations including the Society of Professional Journalists, the Public Relations Student Society of America, and the American Advertising Federation. More department information is available at: http://www.stcloudstate.edu/masscommunications.
The successful candidate will provide visionary leadership for the development and implementation of curriculum and programs that support the departments multiplatform and convergence programs. They will also teach multimedia journalism concepts, skills, standards, and practices, multiplatform production, Web design and development (HTML and CSS), and content management for rapidly changing technologies such as tablet, mobile, and social media using skills-based, hands-on approaches. Additionally, the successful candidate will provide assistance in dimensions of the growing online news operations, advise student media groups in their multimedia convergence activities, and assist in the maintenance and operation of the Mass Communications Department website.
*Employment for this position and service/selection as department chair is governed under a collective bargaining agreement between the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System (MnSCU) and the Inter Faculty Organization (IFO) which can be found at: http://www.stcloudstate.edu/humanresources/union/documents/IFO_2011-2013_CBA_FINAL.pdf
Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters degree in Mass Communications, Journalism, Multimedia, Multimedia Production or closely aligned communications field with significant professional experience in multiplatform and/or multimedia journalism and/or journalism production.
- Recent teaching experience in multimedia journalism, Web design and development, and/or digital production at the collegiate level.
- Leadership roles and experience within departments, colleges, or schools of mass communication.
- Evidence of applicable professional work experience and demonstrated skills in and across multiple digital media platforms that include multimedia journalism, production and/or content management.
- Evidence of and ability to work with persons from diverse backgrounds, including bring culturally diverse perspectives to the classroom that promote understandings of diversity and inclusiveness.
- PhD or terminal degree in Mass Communications, Journalism, Multimedia, Multimedia Production, or closely aligned communications field.
- Evidence of successful mentorship, guidance and direction of student media operations.
- Professional or academic experience in television and Web news and sports production.
- Professional or academic experience in computer-assisted reporting and data-mining.
- Experience in teaching media law.
To apply for this position, please continue the process via this website or directly at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm
Review of applications will begin Feb. 14, and will continue until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be considered. A complete application will include the following:
- Cover letter
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Contact information for three (3) current professional references
- Copies of transcripts (undergraduate/graduate/PhD); if advanced to finalist, official transcripts will be required.
Contact information: Dr. Roya Akhavan, Search Committee Chair
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: (320) 308-4202; (320) 308-3293
SCSU is committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. To promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply, including minorities, women, LGBT, persons with disabilities, and veterans. SCSU is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm