Executive Pastry Chef
Colorado State University in Colorado
|Deadline||February 03, 2014|
|Date Posted||January 16, 2014|
The Executive Pastry Chef position provides culinary leadership, expertise and guidance to the bakery personnel in the on-campus production bakery serving Residential Dining Services and other University departments with flexible and responsive customer service. The CSU Bakery produces a wide variety of baked goods including specialty desserts, artisan breads and sandwich breads, breakfast items and others with a volume of million plus in revenue annually. This position directly supervises eight bakers and several student employees while managing fiscal resources, hands-on bakery production, hiring, training, purchasing, inventory, quality standards and health/safety compliance.
Housing & Dining Services is the largest department on the Colorado State campus with over 400 full-time staff and over 1,000 hourly and student staff members. More than 6,000 students live in campus housing. Located an hour north of the Denver metro area, Fort Collins is a culturally vibrant and progressive community of 137,000 and is often listed as one of the top five places to live in the U.S. The city is sited on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountain foothills with views of 14,000 foot peaks, and offers easy access to numerous outdoor opportunities.
The salary range for this position is $45,000-$60,000
- Possess a baking and pastry/culinary arts degree from an accredited culinary institution, or five years of pastry/baking experience.
- Exhibit three years of experience working in a high volume bakery environment.
- Possess three years of progressive supervision and leadership within the foodservice realm.
- Involvement with product selection and purchasing of food items and recipes.
- Experience developing bakery recipe and menus.
- Possess a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience with the development and production of a wide variety of bakery items (i.e. specialty desserts, artisan breads, ethnic cuisine, etc.)
- Possess computer skills in regards to menu/inventory management applications and systems.
- Experience working in a college/university food service environment.
- Demonstrated collaboration and partnership with diverse operations, services, colleagues, and programs.
- Managed all aspects of a bakery operation.
- Supervise bakery and cold prep commissary personnel, while providing training and oversight of the operation.
- Oversee the production of baked goods from established menus using standardized recipes and culinary pastry methods to maintain high quality, nutritional standards, and safety & sanitation regulations.
- Create labor schedules for all full-time and part-time employees for the cold prep commissary and bakery.
- Organize daily production schedules for all bakery items. Communicate with dining center managers and bakery staff about production concerns, changes in orders, etc.
- Ensure overall consistency and high quality of food through daily inspection, tasting, and on-going training in regards to baking methods. Regularly visit and work with the dining centers to ensure products are handled and displayed to ensure the best quality possible.
- Oversee and participate when necessary in production analysis by forecasting through identification of baking supplies to be used in the bakery.
- Ensure timely and accurate ordering and invoice control, as well as entry of production data into Computrition Menu Management system. Generate the necessary invoices and transfer of production to the various units for financial reporting to occur.
- Direct and participate in the production and culinary standards of quality food products and assure freshness by creating, developing, and amending production procedures and work assignments.
- Remain current with industry trends and participate in the development of new concepts. Assist in the design, product research, costing and implementation of new equipment, food concepts and recipes in the bakery. Support the development and implementation of quality standards for food for those with food allergies and intolerances.
- Analyze food costs to determine the most cost-effective recipes while maintaining quality.
- Test and evaluate food products and make recommendations to Senior Executive Chef. Revise recipes to incorporate new products or procedures.
- Collaborate with Senior Executive Chef, dining center managers and other production personnel to plan, organize and develop menus for special themed and catered events in regards to bakery items.
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate and schedule bakery staff, as well as provide leadership to the bakery team to investigate, develop, and test new recipes.
- Understand concepts of multiculturalism and diversity, incorporating them into menus and recipes.
- Participate in continuing education activities that enhance professional knowledge and technical skills.
- Communicate, interact and work with other areas of Housing & Dining Services and the University in the performance of duties.
- Work closely with staff and student committees.
To apply: Submit a cover letter and a resume in one document addressing all job requirements and submit electronically (Word or PDF format) to Lori Vanagunas at firstname.lastname@example.org . For full consideration, materials must be submitted by 8:00 a.m. MST on Monday, February 3, 2014. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. (Final candidates will be required to give the name, address and telephone number of at least three references.) If you have questions about the position or search process please contact Brittney Stuard via email or 970-491-4714.
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Colorado State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to email@example.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.