Managing Director, Drexel Ventures
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||January 14, 2014|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Drexel is ranked one of the best national universities in the category of Best National Universities in Americas Best Colleges for 2012 by U.S. News & World Report for the eighth consecutive year and in the top 100 for the fourth straight time. Drexel also ranked sixth among national universities in the U.S. News list of "Up-and-Comers," those schools most often cited by university administrators nationwide as making "the most promising and innovative changes in the areas of academics, faculty, student life, campus, or facilities."
With more than 8,200 employees and over 23,500 students, Drexel is the fifth largest private-sector employer in Philadelphia and has a vibrant community of students, faculty and professional staff, and encourages the richness diversity brings to the workplace. Like its students, Drexel's employees are known for being passionate, entrepreneurial and innovative.
Position Title: Managing Director, Drexel Ventures
Drexel Ventures is a subsidiary enterprise that amplifies Drexel Universitys capacity for translational research, discovery and innovation. Drexel Ventures helps faculty and students commercialize their inventions and launch new businesses around them. It drives large-scale innovation at the University and in the region, and is the front door for the private sector to connect with Drexels core competencies and talented faculty.
Through Drexel Ventures, the University is increasing corporate and federal R&D investment, accelerating the commercialization of Drexel-developed technologies and growing the number of new businesses based on Drexel innovations. Drexel Ventures coordinates and leverages existing Drexel entrepreneurship and innovation programs including the Coulter Foundation Translational Research Partnership, the Close School of Entrepreneurship, the Baiada Institute for Entrepreneurship and the ExCITe Center.
The Managing Director will report to Senior Vice President for Corporate Relations and Economic Development and Advisory Board
- Past experience with entrepreneurial and start-up entities in senior management positions
- Possess action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative mindset to business planning and implementation
- Experience with investment fund management from raising capital to researching opportunities for investments through portfolio management
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Ability to work effectively with academic and administrative personnel
- Appreciation with working at the intersection of higher education and the private sector
- Adept at business consulting
- Adept at business consulting
- Ability to engage the private sector in creative and research oriented endeavors
- Track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance-and outcomes-based organization and staff
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation - Past success working with an Advisory or Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; grant writing experience and excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Advanced degree, ideally an MBA and/or PhD, with at least 10 years of senior management experience
- Develop and implement a start-up plan for Drexel Ventures, a university accelerator, from existing feasibility plan prepared by external consultant
- Implement all phases of plan including strategic initiatives, operations, budgetary management, communications (internal and external), provision of key services to clients, proof-of-concept and pre-seed programs and development of programmatic momentum
- Establish short and long term goals and objectives for Drexel Ventures in collaboration with senior administration; monitor and report performance measures
- Determine long-term potential for raising of a venture fund for university and related start-ups
- Manage Technology Transfer Office determining and ranking opportunities for commercialization, monitoring disclosure and patenting process and optimization of University intellectual property
- Assess investment opportunities for proof-of-concept and seed funding programs
- Set goals of direct reports, assess performance and provide feedback - Promote and market all activities of Drexel Ventures to internal and external audiences
- Coordinate the delivery of Drexel Ventures' programs and services
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit support for unit's efforts
- Advise and counsel Drexel academic innovators, and internal and external stakeholders
- Support activities of Advisory Board
Drexel University's mission is to serve students and society through comprehensive integrated academic offerings enhanced by technology, co-operative education, and clinical practice in an urban setting, with global outreach embracing research, scholarly activities, and community initiatives.
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is proactively committed to diversity and inclusion in all of its policies, practices and services. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=78073 or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Managing Director, Drexel Ventures. The requisition number is 5837.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.