Vice Provost for Diversity and Equity
University of Kansas in Kansas
|Date Posted||January 13, 2014|
Vice Provost for Diversity and Equity
The Office of Multicultural Affairs provides direction and
services for current and prospective students from underrepresented
populations. In addition, through collaborative partnerships, we
offer diversity education programs that foster inclusive learning
environments for all students. Our programs and services enhance
the retention of successful matriculation of students, while
supporting their academic and personal development.
The Vice Provost provides the visionary institutional leadership on diversity, equity and inclusion. This position reports to the Provost with the responsibility to:
* Provide visionary leadership for the planning and oversight of diversity and equity initiatives for the university in collaboration with units across campus;
* Develop and implement a framework and outcome metrics that will not only promote diversity but also serve as an action plan for the university and units across campus;
* Foster and promote support for a more diverse and equitable campus community, including building financial support through fundraising and external funding;
* Supervise unit directors of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, the Emily Taylor Center for Women & Gender Equity, and the Office for Diversity in Science Teaching;
* Develop and maintain active partnerships with the external community and appropriate alumni groups in support of diversity and equity at KU;
* Serve as chair or facilitator for standing and ad hoc committees that address diversity, equity and/or inclusion for the university;
* Work closely and collaboratively with administrators, academic units, and appropriate offices to recruit and retain faculty, staff, and students from under-represented groups;
* Promote the office of diversity and equity to the university and broader community; and
* Other duties as assigned by the Provost.
* Terminal degree; e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D, J.D., M.D., or MFA;
* Demonstrated commitment to increasing diversity, multiculturalism, inclusion, and/or educational equity;
* Demonstrated experience in program development and management;
* Demonstrated interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills;
* Demonstrated ability to expedite administrative processes, work independently, and exercise good judgment in previous administrative positions;
* Demonstrated ability to promote and maintain collegial relationships and work as part of an administrative team in previous positions;
* Demonstrated commitment to confidentiality and the ability to exercise discretion in prior positions; and
* Experience managing a budget and providing fiscal oversight with reporting lines as evidenced by previous administrative positions.
* Three years of leadership experience at a comprehensive research institution, particularly related to achieving institutional change;
* Experience with strategic planning;
* Experience with fundraising and securing external funding;
* Knowledge and understanding of laws relating to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and claims of discrimination and harassment, relating to faculty, staff, and students.
Terms of Appointment: The Vice Provost for
Diversity and Equity is a 12-month, 1.0 FTE administrative position
that serves at the pleasure of the Provost and Executive Vice
Chancellor. Depending upon qualifications, the Vice Provost may be
eligible for a joint appointment at .20 FTE as a tenured full
professor in an academic department at the University of
Salary: The salary is competitive and
commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicant Review: This position is available
beginning July 1, 2014. While applications and nominations will be
accepted until the new Vice Provost is selected, applicants
are encouraged to apply by February 10, 2014, in order to receive
How to Apply: Applicants must include a
curriculum vita, a statement of interest addressing the position
qualifications, and names, addresses, and telephone numbers of
three references who may be contacted. There will be no further
reference checks without approval of the applicant. Greenwood/Asher
& Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting the
University of Kansas in this search. Applications, inquiries and
letters of nominations may be submitted electronically to
Greenwood/Asher & Associates or the University. Please see
complete contact information below.
Search Firm Contact Information: Jan Greenwood
or Betty Turner Asher, Partners, Marion Frenche,
Principal, Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc., University
of Kansas, Vice Provost for Diversity and Equity, 42 Business
Centre Drive, Suite 206, Miramar Beach, Florida 32550, Phone:
850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Search Committee Contact Information: Neeli
Bendapudi, Henry D. Price Dean of the University of Kansas School
of Business, Chair, Vice Provost for Diversity and Equity
Search Committee, c/o Terri Morris, Email: email@example.com.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University's programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.
Arrangements will be made if you have a disability that requires an accommodation in completing the application form or in interviewing. Please notify Human Resources at (785) 864-4946 in advance so necessary arrangements can be made.