University of Florida in Florida
|Deadline||March 01, 2014|
|Date Posted||January 3, 2014|
The Department of Biology at the University of Florida invites applications for a Post Doctorial Research Associate to work in the laboratory of Dr. Emily Sessa.
The goal of the current project is to use genomic datasets to explore reticulate evolution in ferns, and the effects of hybridization and polyploidy on genome structure, gene expression, phylogenetic relationships, and species concepts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out field work and collect plant material for analysis.
- Generate, manage, and analyze genomic datasets using NGS technologies.
- Prepare manuscripts for preparation in peer-reviewed journals, write grant proposals, and present results at national meetings.
- Provide supervision and mentoring for undergraduate research assistants and graduate students.
- Prepare and carry out outreach activities in collaboration with students.
Preferred start date is between July 1, 2014 and September 1, 2014.
This is an annual appointment and it is renewable annually based on satisfactory performance, needs of the Department and College, and available funding for up to 2.5 years.
Contact Emily Sessa at email@example.com with questions.
Candidate must have: a Ph.D. (at date of appointment) in botany, plant biology, ecology and evolutionary biology, or related field; proficiency in oral and written English; experience with acquisition and analysis of genomic data; experience in bioinformatics software and analysis; and demonstrated experience in preparing publications, proposals, and presentations.
Background or interest in polyploidy, hybridization, or reticulate evolution.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will commence February 15, 2014, and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should attach: - CV - Cover letter/research statement (one page) - One representative publication (can be draft of thesis chapter) - Two letters of recommendation
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://jobs.ufl.edu/postings/47963