Assistant Dean for Administrative & Financial Services
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in Wisconsin
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||December 26, 2013|
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Graduate School & Office of Research
Administrative and Financial Services
The Graduate School and the Office of Research support the academic and research missions of the University by designing and delivering high quality programs to facilitate access to high quality graduate education, success in research and scholarship, and a supportive climate for our graduate students, their Major Advisors and Principal Investigators, and other graduate program and researcher stakeholders. The Graduate School is home to 33 doctoral programs, 53 master’s programs, 32 certificate programs and leads one of the oldest, most successful McNair Programs in the country. In the past 10 years the number of doctoral students has grown by approximately 70%, and the extramural funding has increased by 200%, providing substantial support for the research component of graduate studies.
The Assistant Dean is a limited appointment position responsible for managing UWM Graduate School and the UWM Office of Research administrative and financial services that includes human resources, biennial and annual budget development, implementation, and monitoring. This is a split appointment reporting to both the Dean of the Graduate School and the Vice Provost for Research. The position interacts campus-wide with University business officers, directors and managers; school/college administrators and faculty; staff, directors and affiliates of organized research units; and with the UWM Foundation. Within the Graduate School and the Office of Research, the position interacts frequently with the cabinet and the senior staff of both divisions.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee human resource functions for classified, unclassified and student staff of the Graduate School and the Office of Research, including staff recruitment, affirmative action planning and oversight, performance evaluation, employee orientation and development, job and career progression, workforce organization, and liaison with campus units involved in human resources and labor relations functions. This includes supervision of a Human Resources Assistant. Serve as unit Personnel Representative.
- Assist Vice Provost and Dean in the management and allocation of strategic internal resources in the Office of Research and the Graduate School. The resources are primarily allocated through the Office of Research programs to other campus units in order to further the research and graduate education missions of UW-Milwaukee. Example programs are, Research Growth Initiative, Indirect Cost distribution, grant matching fund, Graduate Student Fellowships.
- Develop and implement Graduate School and Office of Research biennial and annual budgets, including 101, 133, 136 144, 150, and 403 funds; monitor allocations and expenditures of these funds; develop and implement budget and reporting processes as needed to manage division effectively; prepare periodic analyses and reports for management purposes; and consult with and advise the Dean, the Vice Provost, Associate Deans, unit heads, and directors on budget status, strategic financial planning, funding requests and allocations. Manage Budget & Policy Analyst. Serve as Unit Business Representative.
- Provide oversight of Graduate School and Office of Research space, facilities, and emergency planning assuring effective utilization of existing resources, analyzing unit needs, seeking additional space and resources as necessary, and identifying, monitoring and improving workplace environment and security issues.
- Master’s Degree
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in a combination of accounting, human resources and university and/or government business operations
- Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience
- Master’s degree in business, finance, industrial and labor relations
- Related experience within the UW System
Other skills and knowledge
- Strong leadership, and organization skills; a proven ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of professional colleagues.
- Working knowledge of information systems for budget and human resource data management.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and knowledge of national trends and best practices in finance and human resources management in higher education.
This is an annual basis (12-month) appointment in Range 9 of the UWM Academic Staff Compensation Plan, with excellent fringe benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications between $95,000-105,000.
Application Process and Deadline
Applications must be submitted online at: http://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/16898
Interested applicants should submit:
1) letter of application describing relevant qualifications and experience,
3) list of references, including name, title, address, and phone number.
Review of applications will begin on January 20, 2014. Applications received after January 19, 2014 may not receive consideration.
UWM is an AA/EEO employer and educator.
Applications from individuals who would enhance and diversify our workforce are encouraged.
Learn more about the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and the Graduate School by visiting the home page at www.uwm.edu/
For the UWM Campus Security report, see http://www.cleryact.uwm.edu or call the Office of Student Life at 414-229-4632 for a paper copy.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/16898