Director of the Online Campus
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, EAST BAY in California
|Date Posted||December 21, 2013|
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY,
Director of the Online Campus
The Director of the Online Campus at CSU East Bay provides
administrative support for a comprehensive set of academic
offerings and services that include 11 online degree programs and
over 170 online courses serving over 2500 online learners each
quarter. Regarded as a leader in online education within the
California State University system, CSU East Bay is seeking a
director who can assist us in taking our online campus to the next
level of excellence. Working under the direction of the Associate
Provost, and in collaboration with a variety of university offices,
the director is expected to assure the growth and effectiveness of
CSU East Bay's online programs.
The incumbent will be responsible for: monitoring online programs; supporting accreditation efforts; leading the team that works with faculty to develop online content; envisioning, implementing and marketing a plan for growth in online education; measuring enrollment trends; assuring adequate support services for online teachers and learners; coordinating the work of various offices that assist in the launch of new online programs; responding to system-wide efforts to promote online learning; and working with the colleges to assure that transfer students can seamlessly enroll in CSUEB online degree offerings.
Duties of the Position:
*Creates a multiyear strategic plan for online learning at CSUEB; advises the Associate Provost and the Provost on developing trends in online teaching so that CSUEB can maintain its competitive edge.
*Provides analysis and oversight to assure that online academic program offerings are consistent with the campus Academic Plan and priorities.
* Works with Deans, departments and the Academic Senate in the development of new online degree programs and the movement of existing degree programs to the online format.
* Prioritizes and directs the activities of the Online and Hybrid Support Center Team; encourages innovation in online and hybrid teaching and the use of best practices in creating online curricula.
* Reviews campus policies for online and hybrid learning and makes recommendations for change.
* Works with the Office of Faculty Development and the Faculty Center for Excellence in Teaching to review and recommend adequate technology/training support for faculty teaching online or in a hybrid format.
*Responds to faculty suggestions for improvements/enhancements to the learning management system.
* Works to develop path-to-degree procedures and practices that make transfer, articulation, and advising easier for students coming from community colleges or other 4-year campuses. Reviews quality control measures for online learning and the evaluation process.
* Helps to resolve student/faculty concerns about online offerings and/or online support; works to improve
support for online students, including online orientation sessions and advising.
* Coordinates campus investigations into next-generation online learning management systems and/or deployment of large-scale online offerings.
* Assures that the Online Campus website is up-to-date and easy to use, and that materials produced for the Online Campus are accessible and 508 compliant.
* Participates, as necessary, in system-wide initiatives concerning online learning.
Master's degree required; Ph.D. preferred; experience teaching and administering online programs; supervisory and budgetary experience; familiarity with the means of marketing academic programs using technology; currency and fluency with learning management systems; ability to communicate effectively using a variety of media; familiarity with trends in online learning and best practices in online teaching; skill in researching the market for new online programs and the ability to work with faculty to evaluate their relevance for CSU East Bay. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with diverse student, faculty, staff and community is essential.
* Salary: Salary will be commensurate with requirements of the position, and the skills and experience of the selected candidate. All MPP positions serve at the pleasure of the President.
Start Date: Spring 2014
Process: The search committee will begin accepting applications and nominations immediately. It will begin reviewing applications on January 15, 2014, will continue until the position is filled and may close without further notice. Applicants should submit a letter of interest, complete vita, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least five references via the CSUEB online application. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application. EOE