Assistant Director of Residence and Commuter Life
Arcadia University in Pennsylvania
|Deadline||January 13, 2014|
|Date Posted||December 16, 2013|
The Assistant Director of Residence and Commuter Life is a live-on position that supports the Assistant Dean of Students for Residence and Commuter Life and the Associate Director of Residence and Commuter Life in managing the University Residence and Commuter Life program. The Assistant Director will coordinate retention and engagement efforts within the Residence and Commuter Life program, provide supervision for three Area Coordinators, coordinate basic campus-wide housing processes, serve as a conduct hearing officer, and support the mission of the Student Affairs Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordination of Retention and Engagement Efforts
- Identify and use community and University resources to improve the Residence and Commuter life program with attention to supervision and long range planning;
- Work directly with the Assistant Dean of Students for Engagement and New Student Programs and the Director of Student Engagement to support the first year experience;
- Act as a liaison to the Offices of Public Safety and Facilities Management in conjunction with the Associate Director of Residence and Commuter Life;
- Manage integrated academic and student life experiences within the residence halls; Coordinate assessment of Campus Life Staff learning outcomes;
- Coordinate assessment of student learning outcomes.
Supervision of Area Coordinators
- Directly supervise, evaluate, and train the Area Coordinators;
- Serve as a resource to the Area Coordinators and Campus Life Staff for all programming efforts; Review and assess the Campus Life Staff training program on an annual basis; Serve as an advisor for Area Coordinator special projects.
Coordinate Campus-wide housing Processes
- Approve room change requests in conjunction with the Housing Coordinator;Serve as the second-level contact for roommate mediations;
- In conjunction with the Housing Coordinator, facilitate student housing processes such as Term Switch, Opening, Closing, room changes, and Housing Selection.
Participation in conduct and on-call processes
- Serve as a conduct hearing officer for violations of the Code of Conduct and the University Housing Agreement;
- In conjunction with the Area Coordinators, oversee compliance with sanctions and manage data pertaining to mandated program attendance;
Participate in the campus-wide emergency on-call system.
- Develop effective working relationships with other members and offices of the University community (e.g. faculty, Counseling Center, Student Health Services, Physical Plant, Public Safety);
- Participate on departmental committees as requested;
- Provide general assistance to the Assistant Dean of Students for Residence and Commuter Life, the Associate Director of Residence and Commuter Life, and support other members of the Student Affairs staff;
- In conjunction with the Assistant Dean of Students, manage the Residence and Commuter Life budget;
- Other duties as assigned.
Masters degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration or related discipline preferred; minimum three-five years of progressive responsibility in residence life/housing or related field. Preference will be given to individuals with experience in housing and operations, student engagement, and program assessment in a college/university setting; prior supervisory experience of professional staff is also preferred; Successful candidates will possess excellent organizational skills, ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty and staff.
The Assistant Director of Residence and Commuter Life reports directly to the Associate Director of Residence and Commuter Life, directly supervises three Area Coordinators and indirectly supervises the Housing Coordinator.
To apply, please visit: https://arcadia.peopleadmin.com/postings/517 and submit a cover letter, resume and names and phone numbers of three professional references, in addition to the employment application.
For full consideration, application materials should be submitted by: January 13, 2014.
Arcadia University seeks candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds and abilities. As an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer, Arcadia University encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. All offers of employment are conditional based on successful completion of a background check.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://arcadia.peopleadmin.com/postings/518