Vice President for College Advancement
Thiel College in Pennsylvania
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||December 13, 2013|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Vice President for College Advancement
Thiel College in Greenville, PA invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for College Advancement (VPCA). As the institutions chief advancement officer, the VPCA supervises all fundraising and alumni relations activities; cultivates and solicits major donors; and collaborates with members of the President's Cabinet to accomplish strategic priorities.
Key Opportunities and Qualifications
Reporting to the VPCA are the executive director of donor services, corporate, foundation and government support, directors of planned/special gifts and of alumni services, director of the Thiel Fund, and four administrative staff in donor research, records, and gift stewardship. In addition to the traditional duties and responsibilities of the chief institutional advancement officer, the Thiel VPCA has the interesting challenge of playing a key role in a major capital campaign being designed and orchestrated by a well-respected fundraising firm. As with many liberal arts colleges, the VPCA is expected to be second only to the President in cultivating key donors and asking for gifts and pledges, necessitating at least 35% of his/her time away from the office on donor visits. The other intriguing opportunity and challenge for the VPCA is to establish both a Culture of Engagement and a Culture of Philanthropy at Thiel. The College is very fortunate to have loyal alumni, friends, and church support (ELCA). It will be the responsibility of the VPCA to transform the good will and affection for Thiel into greater direct engagement with the College and a culture of philanthropy that will dramatically enhance giving percentage and average gift size as well as building a strong core of five and six figure regular donors.
The VPCA joins Thiel College at a dynamic and vibrant time. Faculty, staff, students, alumni, and trustees share a palpable excitement, with fifth-year president, Dr. Troy VanAken, about Thiel becoming an exemplary student-centered and innovative liberal arts college. The students are engaging, even endearing; the faculty and staff are incredibly dedicated and talented; the alumni see great potential for their alma mater; the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America is pleased and proud of the depth of spiritual life on campus; the town of Greenville is eager to partner with the College; and the Board of Trustees is providing wise governance and impressive financial support. In essence, the VPCA position will provide the right candidate with a rewarding and fulfilling opportunity to make a difference in the life of a noble institution and establish a culture of philanthropy that will ensure Thiels long-term viability and relevance.
The Thiel community welcomes a VPCA with extensive experience in major gifts and knowledge of best practice in corporate, foundation, annual fund and planned giving, an innovative leadership and collaborative management style, who acts with integrity and authenticity, articulates with passion and persuasiveness the distinct mission and vision of the College on and off campus, and champions creativity and accountability in the fundraising, alumni relations, and marketing operations. The VPCA should have a graduate degree in an appropriate field, a documented track-record of successful fundraising, progressively higher managerial and supervisory responsibility, and an appreciation for private church-related higher education.
- Nominations and confidential inquiries should be directed to Dr. Peter T. Mitchell, Proactive Transition Management by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 843-325-0983.
- A prospectus describing the position, Thiel College, the Greenville community, and the timetable for the search can be found at www.thiel.edu/vpca_search.
- Electronic submission of all application materials is required; materials may be submitted in confidence to the following secure email address: email@example.com, and should include a letter of application, CV, list of five references, and a concise statement of qualifications in reference to the Key Opportunities and Qualifications listed above.
- Candidates will be evaluated as soon as their application is received. The search will be confidential and references will not be contacted until the applicant is notified. Applicants who apply before January 17, 2014 will receive full consideration. Expected start date is not later than February 15, 2014.
- EEO/AA Policy: Thiel College is an equal opportunity institution.