Associate Dean for IT Services
|Date Posted||December 4, 2013|
University of Utah, J. Willard Marriott Library
Associate Dean for IT Services
The J. Willard Marriott Library seeks an innovative, collaborative, and service-oriented leader to serve as the Associate Dean for IT Services. This position reports to the Dean and University Librarian of the Marriott Library and is a member of the Librarys leadership team.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to build on a long history of strategic and sustained technological innovations, and to coordinate their operations and assessment. IT Services is a new department of the Marriott Library and consists of a variety of units and services including client and server administration, website development, computer classrooms and labs, desktop support, media collections and services, and application development and system integration. The AD for IT Services will play a key role in continuous evaluation of the impact and value of these services in supporting the Universitys mission, its evolving academic programs, research interests and user needs. The AD for IT Services must possess significant personnel and project management skills to successfully garner the substantial strengths of the IT Services units to generate creative solutions for our technology future.
IT Services units interact with all areas of the library to collaborate, innovate, and maintain library-specific services and systems integral to collections, research, teaching, publishing, and a variety of outreach programs and initiatives. Thus the AD for IT Services must be dedicated to public service, and prepared to engage with all of the librarys activities to fully understand the entire range of information technology needs. The AD for IT Services must also possess the technical and conceptual knowledge to represent the library in broad conversations about IT, and advance the campus-wide development of emerging instructional technologies as well as systems to enable emerging research needs, including the management and preservation of data.
- Masters degree in Computer Science, Library and Information Science, or Management of Information Systems, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience and proficiency in developing and administering information technologies;
- Thorough understanding of the changing nature of the academic technology environment;
- Familiarity with relevant industry standards and methodologies;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to facilitate technical communication among a variety of stakeholders;
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, analytic, and problem solving skills with the ability to work collegially with internal and external campus constituents;
- Appreciation for the importance of diversity in the workplace and the ability to flourish in a culture that values diversity of thought and backgrounds;
- Strong commitment to collaboration, a respectful work environment, teamwork, and customer relations;
- Record of successful budget management;
- Proven leadership in the profession;
- Ability to meet University requirements for promotion and tenure.
- Significant, demonstrated successful managerial and administrative experience in a large research library or in a related academic or research setting, with an emphasis on digital library issues;
- Knowledge and understanding of research library organizations and the interrelationships of divisions;
- Thorough understanding of current issues and trends facing research libraries, including the impact of digital collections and archival/preservation needs;
- Record of accomplishment in applying emerging information technologies to library operations;
- Grant management experience.
Benefits and Salary
The University of Utah offers an excellent benefits package including TIAACREF, medical, dental, generous paid sick and vacation accrual. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The position will remain open until filled. An initial review of applications will begin on February 7, 2014.
Please submit the following using the link below: a cover letter addressing how your experience matches the qualifications; resume; and names and contact information, including email, mail and phone number of three references.
The University of Utah is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educator. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans preference. Reasonable accommodations provided. For additional information see http://www.regulations.utah.edu/humanResources/5106.html.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds and who possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.