Director of University Career Services
Binghamton University in New York
|Deadline||December 26, 2013|
|Date Posted||November 26, 2013|
Director of University Career Services
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University has built a reputation as a world-class institution that combines a broadly interdisciplinary, international education with one of the most vibrant research programs in the nation. Binghamton is proud to be ranked among the elite public universities in the nation for challenging our students academically, not financially. The result is a unique, best-of-both-worlds college experience.
Our academic culture rivals a first-rate private university - rigorous, collaborative and boldly innovative -- while our campus culture exemplifies the best kind of public university experience: richly diverse students, active social life and deep engagement with the community.
Our students, both undergraduate and graduate, work one-on-one with an exceptional faculty that includes Pulitzer Prize winners and groundbreaking scholars. They take advantage of special academic opportunities like combined degrees, foreign language study groups and an unparalleled international education program.
Budget Title: Director of Career Planning (SL-5 )
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
At a time of great momentum and promise, Binghamton University seeks a bold visionary to direct its Career Services. Binghamton is growing in enrollment, resources, research activity and resources, while maintaining the hallmark quality of its student body. President Harvey Stengers Roadmap Process (a strategic planning exercise that involved all stakeholders) will invest more than $6M in base funding of strategic initiatives over the next few years, an investment that includes career services and related programs. The next director will occupy a newly renovated Career Development Center to be located at the crossroads of campus and equipped with the latest technology.
There is a strong foundation on which to build new career development initiatives and programs. The director will supervise a staff of fourteen and an office budget of more than $1M with modest additional growth projected. The Binghamton Career Development Center is a comprehensive program including four core service areas: counseling, career development programs, experiential education, and employer services. Moreover, there has been substantial and very recent growth in experiential education and employer services (as measured by internship opportunities and job postings) while program and counseling contacts have also been trending upward. Professional schools (Management, Engineering, and Community and Public Affairs) have added their own placement professionals who work collaboratively and closely with the CDC. A multi-year effort to collect better destination data on Binghamton graduates has begun to yield detailed information that will help inform future program development and enjoys the support of all schools and programs and senior university leadership.
The Director of University Career Services reports to the Executive Director of Student Services, who reports directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs. Supervising a staff of 14, the Director has overall responsibility for strategic planning, service delivery and assessment and budget and personnel management for a predominantly centralized career development office that serves 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
The successful candidate will embody many, if not all, of the following:
- Bold, creative and forward-thinking leadership with the confidence to initiate unique programs and the clarity of vision to articulate the purpose of new initiatives
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, marketing savvy, and the capacity to convey the distinctive value of the University, our students, and academic and career services programs to multiple stakeholders in a dynamic and compelling manner
- Student-Services Focused: The existing CDC staff has a strong reputation for being student-centered and for their commitment to developing the whole student. The next Director will have experiences and personal qualities that are consistent with maintaining student-centeredness.
- Demonstrated ability to lead an operation that considers and addresses the needs and concerns of persons from culturally diverse backgrounds including students of color, international students, LGBTQIA, and non-traditional students and to foster sensitivity to a diverse and inclusive campus culture
- Proven ability to lead, motivate, and provide effective supervision and support to both professional and support staff
- Demonstrated capacity for success in developing corporate/employer relations strategies that expand employer involvement with the University and the recruitment of students
- A truly global perspective and commitment to fostering an understanding of the skills and competencies needed for career success in a global economy
- Proven ability to build rapport with multiple constituencies: graduate and undergraduate students alike, faculty, alumni, parents, staff and employers
- Command of information resources relative to employment trends, emerging job markets, trends in graduate education, opportunities for internships, and experiential learning
- An entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to create revenue-generating programs and services to further drive program enhancements
- Knowledge and experience with current best practices in the operation of a comprehensive career services office within a selective college/university environment
- Experience establishing and maintaining collaborative alliances with multiple stakeholders, preferably in a complex higher education environment
- A strong commitment to the use of technology to foster a more efficient overall experience for both students and staff
- A strong commitment to data collection, analysis, and on-going program evaluation as a central component of strategic planning and program development
- Experience in new program development and bringing about change in a thoughtful manner as well as proven skill in building consensus among peers, subordinates, supervisors and others
- Minimum of a masters degree in higher education, student personnel, business administration, or equivalent and significant professional experience in career services, staff recruitment, human resources or a closely related field
- Minimum of seven to ten years of progressively responsible professional experience. Experience in a higher education setting is important; however, exceptional candidates with experience in career recruitment, placement and/or counseling in an industry or business setting will also be given full consideration
- Demonstrated ability to envision, develop, and maintain strong partnerships in academic and corporate settings
- Demonstrated leadership and project management skills
- Proven ability to establish a clear vision and goals and metrics to measure success
- Proven capacity to lead an organization/department
- The successful candidate must be able to articulate a comprehensive understanding of todays world of work/employment in the United States and globally and its relationship to student academic and career preparation
- Understanding and appreciation of the career services process from major/career decision through to experiential education and employment/graduate school
A complete Leadership Profile is available at http://www2.binghamton.edu/student-affairs/CDCprofile.pdf
Persons interested in this position should apply on line at: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=38868
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp
The State University of New York and Binghamton University are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.Click2Apply.net/9sxw3p9