Assistant Professor of Music-Brass/Percussion
Western Washington University in Washington
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||November 26, 2013|
|Type||Tenured, tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Specialist in one of the following:
Trumpet, Trombone, Horn, or Percussion
Full-Time, Tenure Track. Begins September 2014.
The Department of Music at Western Washington University seeks an artist level performer to join the faculty beginning Fall 2014. WWU is seeking an individual to teach Applied Brass or Percussion who will serve as an active member of the Core Academic faculty in areas such as Music Theory, Aural Skills, and History.
The ideal candidate will be a forward-thinking musical artist with a vision to develop the current performance program for the future. The candidate will teach applied lessons, work collaboratively with other studio faculty; teach core academic courses; actively recruit students for the Music Department; participate in Brass/Percussion auditions; provide outreach and leadership to public school music programs; and be active in research/creative activity and service for the department and university.
The Department of Music offers BM, BA and MM degrees to approximately 200 majors. The faculty consists of 39 full- and part-time faculty. The department serves as a focal point for the campus and the regional community through collaboration, participation and leadership in music performance and instruction. The Department of Music and CFPA are committed to the Universitys strategic goal of recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and welcome all applicants.
- Teach applied studio lessons on instrument of expertise (specified Brass or Percussion).
- Teach core academic courses as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with other faculty to attract and recruit highly talented students to the department.
- Provide leadership for administrative aspects of operating a comprehensive performance program.
- Participate in program entrance and ensemble auditions, juries, etc. as appropriate.
- Actively participate in state, regional and national professional associations.
- Actively participate in faculty governance and university service.
- Specific teaching load will reflect skill-set and departmental needs.
- Master's Degree in Music
- Proven artistry in trumpet, trombone, horn or percussion, and significant experience as a performer
- Evidence of successful teaching experience
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively with diverse students, faculty and staff
- Earned Doctorate or ABD in Music
- Evidence of successful university teaching
- Demonstrable ability to teach undergraduate core academic courses such as World Music, History, Theory, and Aural Skills
Application Instructions: Applicants must apply online at www.wwu.edu/jobs
- Cover Letter
- Current Vitae
- Word document containing hyperlinks to performances/recordings/examples of teaching hosted on You-Tube or other web-sites. While online materials are preferred, candidates may send hard copies of CDs or DVDs instead of hyperlinks to Music Department, Brass/Percussion Search, Western Washington University, 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225.
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
WWU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.wwu.edu/hr/Employment/EmploymentHome.shtml