Assistant Director of the Miller Academic Center
Virginia Military Institute in Virginia
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||November 21, 2013|
Virginia Military Institute (VMI) is committed to facilitating the transformation of the Miller Academic Center (MAC) into a world-class learning center. Part of this initiative is the opportunity to staff the position of Assistant Director of the MAC. Our motto is Empowering Cadets to be Extraordinary! and thus there will be a high level of expectations for the successful candidate. We are looking for a competent and committed individual who will maximize this opportunity to substantively contribute to the enhancement of existing academic support and success programs.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Support the development, implementation, and administration of academic support and success programs
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of leadership opportunities for cadets participating in MAC programs and services
- Assist with the training and supervision of Cadet Assistants within the MAC
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and cadets to advance the mission of the unit
- Assist with the technological needs of the MAC including webpage administration and assistive technology
- Contribute to the body of knowledge concerning academic support and success through professional publications and presentations
- Bachelors degree (earned no later than start date)
- At least two years of experience working in an academic support department at a four-year institution
- Demonstrated ability to serve the complete continuum of students from the academically under-performing to the high-performing students
- Experience working with diverse student populations such as student athletes and other special populations
- Record of working effectively with students both individually and in groups with as many as 200 attendees
- At least two years of experience in developing and delivering leadership training to college students
- Evidence of excellent leadership, organizational, decision-making, and communication skills
- Track record of reliability, consistency, productivity, and professionalism
- Undergraduate degree earned at a military college
- Experience working in an academic support department at a military college
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with faculty, students, and other stakeholders
- Experience using academic support programs as a college student
- Successful completion of a military leadership program
This is a one-year appointment as a full-time position. Some evening and weekend hours will be required. Competitive salary is based on qualifications and experience. Candidates must apply on-line at: https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov/applicants/Central?quickFind=180192
Include a letter of interest describing aspects of your background that make you well-suited for the position, a resumé, and the names, titles, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references. Review of applications will begin on January 3, 2014. Start date will be July 2014.
VMI is a nationally ranked public, undergraduate liberal arts college offering majors and minors in engineering, the sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Professional staff members wear a military uniform and observe military customs and courtesies, but prior military experience is not required. Enrolling approximately 1,450 cadets, VMI is located in Lexington, Virginia, in the historic Shenandoah Valley. For more information about VMI, please visit our website at http://www.vmi.edu.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply.
For any questions about this posting, please contact LTC Humphrey at firstname.lastname@example.org.