Assistant Director MS in Health Communication
Northwestern University in Illinois
|Date Posted||November 6, 2013|
About Northwestern University:
Northwestern University is a private research university located on lakefront campuses in both Evanston and downtown Chicago, Illinois. Northwestern was founded in 1851. In fall 2008, Northwestern opened another campus in Doha, Qatar offering bachelor’s degrees in journalism and communications in partnership with the Qatar Foundation.
The university employs approximately 7,100 full-time faculty and staff members among its 11 schools and colleges. NU offers over 130 undergraduate programs and 70 graduate and professional programs to the almost 16,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students enrolled full time.
Northwestern University is committed to excellent teaching, innovative research, and the personal and intellectual growth of its students in a diverse academic community.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as a Assistant Director MS in Health Communication
Under the general guidance of the Director, the Assistant Director provides leadership and is responsible for representing the program to prospective and current students. This position is responsible for self-directing recruitment, admissions student services, and supervising day-to-day operations for the Masters of Science in Health Communication (MSHC) Program.
This is a full time position with regular staffing responsibility during evening and Saturday class meetings. Flexible schedule.
This critical role:
- Identifies and analyzes recruitment trends, develops and implements recruitment strategy for program;
- Recruits prospective students via print and electronic materials and telephone communication;
- Manages and executes recruiting open house and information session events including organization of schedule, materials, food, volunteer staff, and materials;
- Hires and manages appropriate recruiting and student services consultants;
- Works with the School's communication and website teams to establish excellent website and recruitment materials;
- Establishes and manages the application workflow for students including the application process, faculty workflow for approval of applications, candidate notification and candidate relationship management;
- Works with the university Registrar to assure appropriate processes;
- Works with University Student Aid to provide appropriate student aid support;
- Identifies weekly, monthly and quarterly prospect, applicant and enrollment goals, implement changes to policies to bridge gaps in goals;
- Leads, while in collaboration with the Registar, efforts to achieve a seamless transition for matriculated students, including accurate and timely student record creation and maintenance;
- Manages and executes new student welcome and orientation events;
- Reviews and recommends developments to advanced technological applications and web-based interfaces for improved services;
- Communicates regularly with degree applicants, current and admitted students (domestic and international);
- Manages student policies and procedures including student recruitment, admissions, matriculation, orientation, course bidding and registration, practicum seminar registration and evaluation, track and monitor students toward degree fulfillment;
- Attends to sensitive academic and financial student affairs matters;
- Works with other offices on campus to resolve student issues;
- Identifies, coordinates, and provides resources and support to students;
- Refers student inquiries to appropriate department, if needed, and provides information about University processes to students;
- Processes and supports international students with additional academic requirements toward degree;
- Works with International Office on student visa and compliance issues;
- Supervises the planning of professional development events for the students;
- Supervises and hires operations assistants, staff, and student assistants;
- Executes seminar, individual event, and program evaluations and assessments;
- Oversees operating budget related to student services (meals, programs, parking, etc.);
- Oversees admissions application process, preparing materials for faculty review;
- Plans and organizes program-specific application processes and procedures for domestic and international applications with admissions colleagues;
- Analyzes and reports regularized and ad-hoc recruitment/admissions data as needed for the admission committee;
- Works with the curriculum support department to assure faculty receive appropriate course preparation and delivery support;
- Contributes to the implementation, monitoring and development of procedures in compliance with university procedures and relevant regulations;
- Serves as ex-officio member of the MSHC Governing Board;
- Participates in short and long-term strategic planning;
- Reviews, recommends, and implements with guidance from faculty leadership a strategic plan to grow and develop recruitment and program initiatives and objectives;
- Represents Northwestern MSHC program at select meetings, conferences, and programs as necessary;
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
A master`s degree in related field or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
- Five (5) years of experience in higher education or relevant field;
- Experience with academic program management;
- Previous supervisory and decision-making experience;
- Experience managing and allocating budgets;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize in an efficient and productive manner with attention to detail;
- Ability to organize and manage work processes, personnel, and develop sound work practices;
- Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork with students, staff, faculty, alumni, and consultants.
Previous experience working with professional programs and graduate students;
Working knowledge of university systems and environment. or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired;
Working at Northwestern University:
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in eRecruit, enter the Job Opening ID number in the appropriate search field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 22180
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.Click2Apply.net/zgxsc2m