Vice Provost for Global Engagement
Baylor University in Texas
|Date Posted||October 21, 2013|
Vice Provost for
Baylor University invites applications and nominations for the newly-created position of Vice Provost for Global Engagement.
Baylor conceives its global engagement efforts as extending from the community immediately surrounding the campus in Waco to the far reaches of the globe. The Vice Provost will have the opportunity and primary responsibility for cultivating and implementing these efforts in a strategic way to develop cultural competence in our students and to extend the university’s teaching, scholarship, and service to promote human flourishing. Additionally, the Vice Provost will lead the recently approved Center for Global Engagement (an expansion of the former Center for International Education), grow study abroad programs, cultivate mutually beneficial institutional partnerships, enhance international student support, promote the internationalization of the university’s curriculum, and foster discipline-specific and other mission-related activities. As a member of Baylor’s senior academic administrative team, the Vice Provost will report to the Executive Vice President & Provost and work closely with the academic deans and executive officers on behalf of the university as a whole.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
• Creative and facilitative leadership and administrative experience in the field of international education, with proven results that have been informed by evidenced-based assessment and decision making;
• Experience setting and advocating sound strategic priorities that respect the past, understand the present, and envision the future;
• Demonstrated capacity to advance the university’s global engagement mission and interests within and beyond the institution while marshaling and distributing the resources necessary to strategically focus these efforts;
• Substantive international travel experience in developed and developing countries, along with a willingness and ability to travel internationally several times a year;
• Evidence of multicultural experiences and awareness, including a working knowledge of at least one language in addition to English;
• Proven capacity to foster partnerships among multiple constituencies, including students, faculty, staff, and alumni, as well as leaders in the business, political, social, and governmental sectors locally, nationally, and internationally;
• A commitment and ability to contribute actively to substantial development and fundraising efforts to enhance Baylor’s global engagement;
• Intellectual curiosity and a terminal degree in a relevant field;
• Excellent management, communication, problem-solving, and negotiation skills; and
• Commitment to diversity among faculty, staff, and students.
Baylor University is the oldest continually operating university in Texas and the largest Christian university with a Baptist heritage in the world. Baylor’s mission is “to educate men and women for worldwide leadership and service by integrating academic excellence and Christian commitment within a caring community.” With a student body of over 15,000, representing all 50 states and more than 80 foreign countries, the university offers 144 undergraduate degrees, 74 master’s programs, and 34 doctoral programs across 11 academic divisions. As described in the university’s strategic vision, Pro Futuris, Baylor is actively recruiting individuals with a commitment to transformational education, compelling scholarship, informed engagement, committed constituents, and judicious stewardship as means to propel Baylor’s aspiration to become a top-tier research university while reaffirming and strengthening its distinctive Christian mission.
Applications should include a statement of interest and a curriculum vitae. Applications and nominations will be kept strictly confidential. The review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the new Vice Provost is selected.
Send materials or nominations to: Vice Provost for Global Engagement Search Manager, One Bear Place #97014, Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798-7014 or electronically to VPGEsearch@baylor.edu.
Baylor University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity educator and employer and encourages minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to VPGEsearch@baylor.edu
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.