School Director and Professor of Art, Art History or Graphic Design
Portland State University in Oregon
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||October 11, 2013|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The School of Art and Design in the College of the Arts at Portland State University invites applications for a Director of the School and Professor in any one of the fields of Art Practices, Art History, or Graphic Design. This is a tenured, 1.0 FTE, 12-month position, commencing fall of 2014. The Director will provide creative leadership and vision as well as administrative oversight for a burgeoning School of 20 full-time and 70 part-time faculty, 32 M.F.A. students, and approximately 1100 undergraduate majors, while supervising 4 full-time and 7 part-time support staff and administering a budget of over $4 million. Comprised of three concentration areas—Art Practices, Art History, and Graphic Design—the School seeks a dynamic Director to build cohesion among these areas; spearhead program assessment and strategic long-term planning initiatives; manage resources and, working with a new Dean of the College of the Arts, help obtain additional resources; enhance facilities and/or improve ways to utilize current facilities; and represent the School energetically within the larger cultural community. Recently grown from a Department of Art, the new School is poised to expand the unique potential of its interdisciplinary opportunities as well as possibilities for continuing community engagement.
PSU, a thriving public research university in downtown Portland, Oregon is the largest, fastest growing, and most diverse institution in the Oregon University System. The city is widely rated as one of the most livable in the country, with a vibrant arts community including the Portland Art Museum, Museum of Contemporary Craft, Portland Institute for Contemporary Art, and numerous commercial and non-profit galleries.
- A terminal degree (Ph.D. or M.F.A.) in the candidates discipline;
- A record of teaching experience, scholarship, and service worthy of a tenured appointment at the rank of full professor;
- Three years minimum experience as a chair or director with full authority over budget and tenure-and-promotion decisions, and evidence of successful program development and administration;
- Knowledge of contemporary art and critical theory;
- Strong professional and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- At least 6 years of administrative experience with progressively greater responsibility and 10 years prior teaching and scholarship activities.
- Successful fundraising experience;
- Demonstrated ability to work within an urban arts community.
Total Compensation & Benefits:
The 12-month salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience, includes a Directors stipend, with one months paid vacation. Portland State University offers excellent benefits, with generous healthcare and retirement packages and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse, or dependents at any of the Oregon University System schools.
The process is two-fold. First, submit application and CV to the PSU online portal People Admin at https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/
Second, submit the following materials to the online portal SlideRoom at https://pdx.slideroom.com
2. Letter of application which specifically addresses position qualifications; include information about the size of budgets previously overseen;
3. Names and contact information of three references, at least one of which must be a direct supervisor, current or recent, of the candidate's administrative work;
4. Statement of research interests and accomplishments;
5. Depending on the candidates discipline, either ten images of creative work or a recent scholarly publication in PDF form.
· Images must be saved as jpg, png, or gif (5MB max).
· Videos must be mov, wmv, or flv (60MB max); 640 x 480px will ensure optimum duration.
· Documents must be saved as pdf (9MB max).
· Audio must be saved as mp3 (5MB max).
Note: SlideRoom will charge a fee of $10.00 to process the application. This fee should be seen as a cost comparable to the materials and the postage required of a hard-copy application.
Review of applications begins December 1, 2013; position is open until finalists are identified. For further information, please contact the School of Art and Design at (503) 725-3515 or firstname.lastname@example.org.