Chair, Department of Pathology
American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||September 26, 2013|
|Type||Non tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC), an accredited institution founded in 1978 with over 4,000 medical graduates, invites applications for a Chair in the Department of Pathology . The Medical Sciences campus of AUC is located on the island of St. Maarten. AUC has an exceptional faculty composed of clinicians and basic scientists who instruct an accomplished and committed body of students.
Our medical students are highly motivated and are mainly from the USA and Canada. The first two years of basic medical sciences are completed in St. Maarten and the second two years of clinical studies are done at associated hospitals in the USA and United Kingdom. After passing all prerequisite examinations, AUC graduates are licensed to practice medicine in all 50 states of the U.S. Our current pass-rate for first-time takers of the USMLE Step 1 is 100%.
Medical Degree from an accredited United States school of medicine or equivalent school of medicine is necessary. Training in a formal anatomic pathology and/or clinical pathology residency program recognized by the American Board of Pathology or equivalent is required. Appropriate experience in administration, leadership and the multiple disciplines of Pathology that allows proper integration and development of a Department of Pathology for the purpose of medical education is required. Strong experience in communicating with small and large groups is necessary.
- Develop the course content for Pathology classes at AUC that include up to date pertinent materials that meet accreditation standards and allows students at AUC to excel in the areas of General Pathology, Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology on licensing examinations and the clinical practice of medicine.
- Integrate the pathology material presented in the courses with material in other basic sciences and in clinical medicine, as appropriate.
- Assist in developing examination materials for measuring students comprehension of materials presented in the Pathology Courses.
- Meet with students with poor class performance (including, but not limited to, poor exam performance, poor attendance, or disruptive behavior) as necessary.
- Be available to students outside of scheduled lecture times for course questions or any other needs where the students want to speak to the Chair of the Department.
- Shall supervise and grade examinations in coordination with other faculty in the Pathology Department as necessary for student evaluation.
- Shall run and/or attend departmental, chair, interdepartmental and faculty meetings as required by the Department of Pathology and/or AUC School of Medicine.
- Shall serve on committees, as necessary, as to allow proper function of the department and school of medicine.
- Will work together with faculty of other departments as needed to enhance education at AUC.
- Will attend continuing education courses/meetings/symposia (with compensation by AUC) as contracted and necessary to provide leadership and update pathology course material for AUC students.
- Serve as a physician role model to medical students at AUC.
- Report to Dean/Interim Dean/Acting Dean and/or associate Deans of Medical Sciences at AUC or their designees as required
- Assume other duties as may be required. All faculty members are expected to continue their professional development and/or scholarly achievement, exhibit leadership in University, Public and Professional venues and actively participate in University life including service to the University and its students.
Variable based on experience, duties and other factors and as presented in contract.
Per Faculty Handbook, all full time faculty members must maintain office hours each day from Monday to Friday and are required to remain on campus until the last day of final examinations and must report back to campus the day before classes begin.
All Faculty members are expected to continue their professional development and/or scholarly achievement, their public and/or professional service and actively participate in University life.
Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Devry medical International offers a competitive annual salary, relocation assistance, a 401k program, tuition assistance benefit, scholarship program for dependents, medical benefits, travel benefits, a living allowance, 25 days of paid annual leave along with opportunities for professional development, which includes a conference and book allowance.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to Gretchen Yarbrough at gyarbrough@DeVry.edu.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://aucmed-devry.icims.com/jobs/48550/chair%2c-department-of-pathology/job?mode=view