ASSOCIATE DEAN, STUDENT AFFAIRS
Arizona State University in Arizona
|Deadline||May 24, 2012|
|Date Posted||May 4, 2012|
Associate Dean Student Affairs
Arizona State University
Dean of Students-Tempe Campus
Job Id# 28400
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under administrative direction of the Dean of Students, the Associate Dean provides direct oversight for the overall design, administration, delivery, supervision, and fiscal management of New Student Orientation, Transition and Parent Programs, Student Activities, International Student Programming, and Game Day and Spirit Initiatives. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work cooperatively with Deans and Associate Deans to advance goals and objectives.
- Develop, direct, coordinate, evaluate, and continually improve services, programs, and activities designed to engage students and support student success.
- Develop partnerships and work effectively with academic support and student support units in the schools/colleges.
- Provide strategic planning and leadership for the implementation, delivery and evaluation of programs and services that are consistent with the mission and goals of the University.
- Assess student needs and interests; utilize relevant data, scholarship, and student development theories and models in planning and developing programs and activities for assigned areas.
- Maintain a workplace climate that fosters support for employees and is respectful of difference, and create a learning environment that encourages personal development, self-reflection, and academic success.
- Demonstrate role modeling, ethical decision-making, cultural competency, responsible management, and leadership for staff and students through all actions and communications.
- Represent the Dean of Students Office through attendance and active participation at campus events and programs, university and off-campus committees, and community events and programs.
Areas of responsibility include the following:
- New Student Orientation (NSO): work closely with University Housing, Undergraduate Admissions, schools/colleges and other university offices to provide seamless processes and services.
- Transition and Parent Programs (TPP): develop strong relationship with parents with a goal of achieving student success; collaborate with other University departments on Fall Welcome events and related activities; and coordinate Family programs and events.
- Student Activities: work with Programming and Activities Board (PAB) to plan and implement university events, activities, and programs commensurate with ASU's size and diversity.
- International Student Programming: work collaboratively with the International Student Services Office to provide enhanced programming for international students.
- Game Day and Spirit Initiative: integrate Game Day and other spirit initiatives into every aspect of the Dean's portfolio by working with staff, Spirit Club Advisor and Director for Spirit Initiatives.
- Special Programs: incubate and implement new initiatives and special programs until another area is identified to foster the initiative.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE:
Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM, to include extended hours as needed.
Rate of Pay:
Depends on experience
Master's degree in student personnel, higher education, or other field relevant to the primary responsibilities of the position; an earned doctorate in a relevant field highly desired; record of progressively responsible administrative and supervisory experience in student affairs, enrollment management and or human services. Experience procuring grants or funding awards and facilities development is highly desired.
Doctorate degree in field related to the profession. Experience in: working in a higher education environment; managing large scale programs for diverse audiences (i.e., new student orientation programs, parent programs, student activities, and international student programs); shifting campus culture towards greater student participation in university traditions and athletic activities; developing partnerships across multiple student service areas, colleges, and external entities; assessment and strategic planning; supervising professional staff; budget management. Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills.
Department Statement/Gen Info:
Arizona State University is one of the premier metropolitan public research universities in the nation with more than 70,000 undergraduate and graduate student on four campuses in metropolitan Phoenix. ASU maintains a tradition of academic excellence in core disciplines and has become an important global cent for innovative. This position is located at ASU's Tempe campus and will report to the Dean of Students. The Dean's Office is part of ASU's Educational Outreach and Student Services (EOSS) Sr. Vice Presidential area. EOSS provides the ASU student community with support services, involvement opportunities and a rich Sun Devil experience to help them achieve their personal, organizational and academic goals. Members of the ASU community aspire to live the Sun Devil Way, resulting in a community that exemplifies achievement, engagement and responsibility.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 70,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
Arizona State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
May 24, 2012
Instructions to Apply:
Attach all applicant information in a SINGLE DOCUMENT, which includes: a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume should include all employment history beginning and ending dates in a month/year format (e.g. 6/01 to 8/04), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position. Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired Qualifications.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "Staff" see job id# 28400
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://www.asu.edu/go/employment/?auth=guest&jobid=28400&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1