Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology
Wayland Baptist University in Texas
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||April 24, 2012|
|Type||Non tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) Plainview Campus
DEPARTMENT: Department of Biology/School of Mathematics and Sciences
SUPERVISED BY: Dean, Mathematics and Sciences
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The faculty member will work under the supervision of the Dean of the School of Mathematics and Sciences. Primary teaching responsibilities will include some combination of the following courses: introductory biology for majors and non-majors; human anatomy and physiology; microbiology; and upper-level courses in the candidates specialty. Commitment to directing undergraduates in student-focused interdisciplinary research programs is important. As a faculty member of WBU he/she will represent the University's academic and spiritual emphasis to the students, faculty, staff, and the community in a manner consistent with the University's mission and purpose.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Teaching a total of 24 semester hours of courses in introductory biology, human anatomy and physiology; and microbiology per academic year.
2. Advising undergraduate students.
3. Serving on university and school committees.
4. Actively engaging in professional development activities.
5. Mentoring students in appropriate undergraduate-level research projects.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean, School of Mathematics and Sciences or University Provost.
An earned Ph.D. in Human Biology, Microbiology, Zoology or closely related discipline.
Experience and Knowledge:
Post-doctoral or prior teaching experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
1. The ability to teach courses in introductory biology for majors and non-majors; human anatomy and physiology; and microbiology.
2. An interest in teaching at a university where teaching excellence is highly valued.
3. A strong Christian commitment, and the willingness to be involved in the life of the university and her students.
4. Should possess an interest in directing student-centered undergraduate research.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Services (ICE). Employee must be able to travel. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle and possess a valid state drivers license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory drivers record.
Wayland Baptist University does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.wbu.edu/faculty_and_staff/employment_opportunities/job_postings/staff/F90.html