Assistant Professor of Art History, Fixed-Term position (contingent on funding)
St. Cloud State University in Minnesota
|Deadline||April 30, 2012|
|Date Posted||April 12, 2012|
|Type||Non tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Competitive plus benefits, commensurate with education and experience
Date of appointment:
August 21, 2012
The Art Department at St. Cloud State University seeks an individual to teach a full range of undergraduate art history courses in a newly redesigned art history major focused on global art. The one-year, fixed-term position is in a department that serves art and art history majors and general education students. St. Cloud State University is a comprehensive university of approximately 17,000 students and is an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The Art Department is part of a newly formed School of the Arts. The Kiehle Visual Arts Center sits on the banks of the Mississippi River, sixty miles north of the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
Responsibilities: Teach 12 credits per semester (four courses per semester or equivalent), Specific courses for fall include two sections of Art History Survey II, International Modernisms, and Theories; for spring, Contemporary Art, Arts of the Americas (including but not limited to US), and either Survey I or Art Appreciation, depending on department needs. As an assistant professor, this faculty member will teach, engage in continuing study and scholarly or creative work, support student growth and development including advising, and provide service to the university community.
Qualifications and experience:
- MA or equivalent in art history or related field such as curatorial studies
- Dissertation field and primary research interest must be in contemporary art
- Some experience teaching at the college level, including teaching assistantships
- Evidence of the ability to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- ABD (by date of appointment) or PhD in art history or related field such as curatorial studies strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated effectiveness of teaching at the college level is desirable;
- Evidence of effective work with art history majors who seek careers as gallery directors, curators, or arts administrators and with studio majors, who constitute a strong majority of students.
- Studio background and/or curatorial experience strongly preferred.
To apply for this position, please continue the process via this website or directly at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm.
Application Review begins May 1, 2012; position is open until filled.
A complete application will include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three (3) current, professional references
- Copies of official Transcript(s) (undergraduate/graduate/PhD)
- A separate statement of teaching philosophy
- A writing sample (a synopsis of scholarly research and either a conference paper, review, catalog essay, article, dissertation chapter, or book chapter)
Application materials will not be returned.
Search Committee Chair, Art History Search Committee
Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at: http://www.ifo.org/contract09-11/2009-2011.pdf.
St. Cloud State University is committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. To promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply, including minorities, women, LGBT, persons with disabilities and veterans. St. Cloud State University is a member of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm