Critical Prison Studies/Carceral Studies - Tenure-Track
California State University, Fullerton in California
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||August 2, 2017|
|Type||Tenured, tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
DEPARTMENT OF AFRICAN AMERICAN STUDIES
COLLEGE OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
The Department of African American Studies at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in critical prison studies with appointment to begin Fall 2018. CSUF is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
Critical Prison Studies is located at the intersection of political and legal thought, cultural studies, and critical race theory. This position is consistent with the interdisciplinary and global initiatives of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The successful candidate will have a research program engaged with the implications of the carceral state in the United States. A comparative, diasporic, and/or multi-ethnic approach, paying particular attention to the African American experience is welcome. We encourage applications from candidates whose work is interdisciplinary in nature.
The candidate will demonstrate strong competence in such relevant intellectual traditions such as critical race theory, gender/masculinity studies, queer, or other contemporary critical perspectives on state violence and carceral projects.
The successful candidate will contribute to the undergraduate program in the African American Studies Department through new curriculum development and teaching. Candidate will be expected to teach core courses in the department, such as Introduction to African American Studies, African American Political Thought, African American Politics, and develop courses in their specialization. The successful candidate will provide evidence of high quality research, leading to peer assessed publications, and outstanding teaching contributions at the undergraduate level. Candidates must provide evidence of an ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary and student-centered environment. The successful candidate will be required to make substantive contributions through service to the department, and the College, the University, and the broader community. This position offers opportunities for community engagement, such as collaborating with Project Rebound, a University program dedicated to supporting formerly incarcerated students to excel in college.
- PhD in Criminal Justice, African American Studies, or a related field. ABD’s may apply must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date. We will also consider candidates with a JD.
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally-diverse range of students.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Rank and Salary
The positions will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
A complete on-line application/resume must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9785BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- curriculum vitae
- undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- research statement in which you describe your research program and discuss how students can be incorporated into your research
- reprints and preprints of publications and presentations
- teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, course syllabi, and teaching evaluation summaries
- a student success statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in teaching or working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- three letters of recommendation (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dr. Siobhan
Brooks at email@example.com or
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications received by October 1, 2017 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The persons holding these positions are considered ‘mandated reporters’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment