Adjunct Lecturer - Biochemistry
Columbia University, Department of Biological Sciences in New York
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||August 2, 2017|
Department of Biological Sciences – Columbia University
A sabbatical replacement for a biochemistry instructor is needed for the fall term. A PhD in a related field is required, and teaching experience is preferred. Current enrollment is about 150. Prerequisites: Organic chemistry and introductory biology with a molecular focus. The current course description reads as follows:
In this course, students will study the chemistry of living systems. The class will discuss how living systems convert environmental resources into energy, and how they use this energy and these materials to build the molecules required for the diverse functions of life. Finally, the class will discuss the applications of such biochemical knowledge to disease and drug discovery.
At a high level, the expectation is that at the conclusion of the course, students should be able to explain:
- the basic mechanisms by which living systems harness energy from their environment
- how living systems construct the molecules necessary for the functions of life
- how these processes go awry in a variety of disease, including cancers
- how drugs can be discovered to treat such diseases
Using this knowledge, students should be able to diagram the major metabolic pathways and compare how these pathways are dysregulated in normal tissues in and disease states. In addition, they should know what techniques are used to uncover this knowledge and how to design and interpret experiments that will address these questions. They should also be capable of collaborating with other people in the analysis and interpretation of biochemical data, and be able to communicate, defend and refute interpretations of data.
To be considered for the position, please send CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer --Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.