Associate Dean for Graduate School Administration in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York
|Date Posted||July 14, 2017|
The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) is recruiting for an Associate Dean for Graduate School Administration in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
The Associate Dean will act as a strategic partner and advisor to the Dean of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS), leading and coordinating the following non-academic operations and functions in the GSBS: Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, and Administration. Direct reports include: a Financial Analyst, a Marketing Coordinator, a Program Coordinator, and an Administrative Assistant. Dotted line reporting relationships include: the Program Manager for PhD and MSBS programs, the Supervisor of Technology and Learning Environments, the Program Manager for the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, and the Program Manager for the MD/PhD program.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and/or Competencies Required to Successfully Perform the Work
Proven leader with outstanding interpersonal skills, project management, data coordination, and organization skills. Experience in managing strategic human resource issues and an understanding of finance in higher education and/or not-for-profit organizations. Understanding of marketing communications and its importance to the brand, mission, and recruitment efforts of the School. Demonstrated evidence of strong interpersonal and communication skills, especially with senior management and trustee-level constituencies. Demonstrated commitment to working with a diverse population of faculty, students and staff, and success in a culture of professionalism with a student service focus.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required for Entry into Position
Master's degree with extensive and progressive leadership/management experience preferably in the area of academic support services (human resources, financial operations, marketing, communications, enrollment management, student services, event coordination, etc.). The successful candidate should have experience with project management and resource allocation; significant managerial/supervisory experience; and a record of achievement in administration, including academic policy formulation, strategic planning, and day-to-day oversight of resource allocation processes. The successful candidate should also have a record of establishing academic policies and procedures. A familiarity with extramural grant funding, particularly training grants and individual pre-doctoral fellowships, is a plus.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
Serve as the chief administrative officer on behalf of the Dean of the GSBS in the following areas:
- Provide overall direction and oversight of the functional units of Marketing, Finance, Human Resources and Administration to ensure they make positive contributions to the accomplishment of the GSBS annual agenda and long-term strategic plans;
- Oversee all decision-making with respect to organizing the functional units for admissions, orientations, award ceremonies, etc., determining their optimal staffing configurations, and assessing their overall effectiveness;
- Provide administrative support for the submission of training grants and individual pre-doctoral fellowships;
- Provide administrative support to non-degree programs such as the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) and the Post-baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP), including coordinating the students’ housing needs, organizing their poster presentations, and serving as a liaison with the Office of International Personnel for international students;
- Maintain and record minutes of various business meetings organized by the Dean and the Faculty Leadership Council;
- Advise the Dean and other senior GSBS leaders, as appropriate, on various matters with respect to organization, staffing and functional leadership;
- Work closely with other members of the Dean's leadership team in evaluating GSBS administrative needs and in determining how best to respond to challenges and opportunities for improvement;
- Work with members of the leadership team to identify opportunities for realizing potential efficiencies and economies of scale in areas that span programs and administrative functions;
- Work closely with the Financial Analyst in developing and executing the annual GSBS financial plan. This includes monitoring the monthly expenses relative to the approved budget, managing bridge funds to subsidize students’ fellowships when mentors’ funding declines, interfacing with graduate students and mentors to manage students’ transition to mentors’ funds, administering the Graduate School’s Travel Award Program and reviewing purchasing requests for programmatic needs;
- Provide guidance and leadership support to the Program Manager for PhD and MSBS programs, the Supervisor of Technology and Learning Environments, the Program Manager for the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, and the Program Manager for the MD/PhD program, in collaboration with their respective supervisors;
- Manage responsibilities within the approved budget;
- In the Dean's absence, make day-to-day operational decisions as they relate to administrative operations.
Interaction with the Office of the Dean at ISMMS:
- Serve as the primary liaison to the ISMMS Dean’s office.;
- Work with the Senior Associate Dean for Education and Research Administration and her staff to prepare for and successfully execute the annual financial plan.
- Ensure that expectations are clear, well-communicated, and relate to the goals and objectives of the department or unit. Provide staff with frequent, constructive feedback, including interim evaluations as appropriate. Ensure staff has the necessary knowledge and skills to accomplish the goals of the GSBS, and the requirements of the performance planning and evaluation system are completed by established deadlines with proper documentation. Document performance issues as they occur and ensure that safety issues are reviewed and communicated to promote a safe and healthy workplace;
- Serve as direct supervisor to the Financial Analyst, the Marketing Coordinator, a Program Coordinator, and an Administrative Assistant.
- Participate in senior leadership meetings on a regular basis as member of the Dean’s leadership team;
- Serve as the primary liaison to other key educational units such as Medical Education, working closely with them to organize joint events and activities;
- Work on other projects or perform other duties as requested by the Dean of the GSBS.
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai
Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke's, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.