Director, Programs and Resources for Academic Excellence
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York
|Date Posted||July 13, 2017|
The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai invites applications the Director of Programs and Resources for Academic Excellence is a full-time position within the Department of Medical Education that supports the academic success of all medical students, with a focus on enhancing study skills, learning and test performance.
The Director will be responsible for offering programming and support to assist students with study skills for academic success in the medical school curriculum and for preparing for USMLE and other examinations.
- Provide assessment of individual medical student needs and counseling to improve academic performance
- Teach sessions in various formats (small group, lecture, etc.) on study and test taking skills
- Coach students through challenging assessments or periods of the curriculum
- Refer students to appropriate resources when needed, like Student Trainee Mental Health, the Disability Officer, and learning specialists
- Supervise and help train medical student tutors
- Provide guidance to students on study materials, technology and supplementary courses
- Masters or doctorate required, preferably in education or psychology
- 2 years’ experience working with students in higher education.
- Excellent counseling skills
- Understanding of various assessment methodologies used in medical school (i.e., multiple choice questions, observed structures clinical exams, etc.)
- Experience with interpreting neuropsychological testing
- Maintain confidentiality
- Outstanding independent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Experience working with a wide range of learners with diverse learning needs
- Experience in conducting small and large group sessions on study skills
- Familiarity with medical school curriculum and environment preferred
- Knowledge of learning disabilities and psychological conditions that can impact academic performance and comfort in identifying students who may need further neuropsychological or psychiatric evaluations
- Knowledge of social and educational conditions that impact learning and performance such as stereotype threat, grit, resilience, self-efficacy, social/cognitive career theory, etc. a plus
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke's, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.