|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||July 6, 2017|
POSITION: Dean, Division of Arts & Sciences
This position reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Annually renewable 12-month appointment
The Dean of Arts & Sciences serves as a member of the Academic Deans Council and plays a crucial role in the leadership of Rhodes State College. The Dean leads faculty, staff, and students in the Division of Arts & Sciences by creating a culture of collaboration with a focus on student success through the institutional Core Values: integrity, caring, responsibility, respect and quality. The Dean is responsible for oversight of curriculum, planning, staffing, evaluation, and budget administration, for departments within the Division: Biological and Physical Sciences, Humanities, Mathematics, and Social & Behavioral Sciences. The Dean ensures the integrity of academic programs and processes within the Division according to College guidelines as well as expected practices and regulations from accreditors and the State. The Dean supports and operates within the College’s model of shared governance. This is an administrative position; the Dean serves at the pleasure of the VPAA and the President.
- Provision of leadership and supervision for the Arts & Sciences Division;
- Enabling and fostering communication within the Division and with other institutional and external stakeholders;
- Participation in the selection process, recommendation, and onboarding of new faculty, chairs, and staff as well as the evaluation and recommendation for promotion of Division personnel;
- Oversight of curricular development, review, and assessment of student learning for programs and courses within the Division;
- Creation of student-centered course schedules that balance faculty workload and efficient space and resource utilization;
- Strategic and efficient management of Divisional fiscal resources;
- Drive initiatives related to the goals of the Division such as the creation of an Honors program and fostering the growth of degrees meant for transfer;
- Support and leadership for College-wide initiatives including efforts linked to the RSC Strategic Plan, Completion Plan, policies and procedures, and affirmation of HLC accreditation;
- Resolution of student and personnel concerns within the Division including academic appeal;
- Collaborating with external stakeholders including State and local entities on efforts such as the Ohio Transfer Module, industry alignment, College Credit Plus, and recruiting efforts related to the Division;
- Grant writing related to the work of the Division;
- Other duties as assigned.
MAJOR WORK QUALIFICATIONS:
Doctorate degree required in an academic discipline. A minimum of five years of progressively responsible leadership/supervisory experience at the level of academic chair or dean required. Five years of full-time classroom teaching experience required. Candidates with community college experience preferred. Proven ability to manage people and resources is a must as well as the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing. Must bring vision and have exceptional abilities to organize and carry out work related responsibilities in a changing environment. Some knowledge of marketing and familiarity with administrative and instructional technology is necessary. Must be well versed in assessment, accreditation, program review, the delivery of instruction via alternative methods and in designing academic schedules to meet the needs of students.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Submit materials to electronically to the Office for Human Resources, Rhodes State College. Applicants must include a letter of interest outlining background, qualifications and vision for the position, a resume and the names, email addresses and telephone numbers (work and home/cell) of at least seven (7) professional references. References are contacted at the point when applicants advance through the interview process. Applicants who are invited to the interview process will be required to complete a College employment application and background screening.
Rhodes State College is an equal-opportunity, Title IX institution and pledges to recruit, select and promote diversity by providing equality of opportunity in higher education for all persons, including faculty and employees with respect to hiring, continuation, promotion, and applicants for admission, enrolled students and graduates without discrimination or segregation.
The College is interested in candidates who have the communication skills and cross-cultural abilities to maximize their effectiveness with diverse groups of colleagues, students, faculty, and community members. All employment decisions are made on a non-discriminatory basis. Rhodes State College prohibits discrimination and harassment based on sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, work-related injury or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in College programs, services, and activities. A pre-employment background screen is required for all employees and the College participates in the Federally-mandated E-Verify program.
The Director of Human Resources, located in Room 223 of the Public Service Building, telephone 419-995-8302, coordinates the college's compliance with titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act and amendments, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to email@example.com
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.