Assistant Chairperson of Social Science and Cultural Studies
Pratt Institute in New York
|Deadline||July 20, 2017|
|Date Posted||June 20, 2017|
The Department of Social Science and Cultural Studies (SSCS) in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences (SLAS) at Pratt Institute invites applications for the position of Assistant Chair. This administrative position represents an excellent opportunity to work, teach, and administer in a dynamic setting that includes SSCS Department and Global South Center. The department, located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, offers courses in cultural history, world civilization, philosophy, political science, economics, sociology, anthropology, and psychology as well as a major in Critical and Visual Studies and minors in Cultural Studies and Philosophy. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
* Provide academic administrative support to the Office of the SSCS Chair
* Coordinate the activities of SSCS faculty committees, including curriculum, speakers, general education, program and hiring committees
* Assist SSCS faculty to develop new major and minor programs
* Manage the integration of SSCS programs and courses with its sister programs in SLAS and with programs across the Institute
* Serve as surrogate for the Chair on SLAS and Institute committees
* Schedule, advise and assist part-time faculty in the department, including major responsibility for scheduling the Fall and Spring semester courses
* Support the efforts of the full-time faculty to develop mentoring programs for junior and part-time faculty
* Work cooperatively with departmental staff to plan student, faculty and staff events (i.e., maintain up-to-date contact information for faculty, students and alumni, coordinate A/V and other faculty needs, etc.)
* Support regularly scheduled projects such as student orientation, faculty meetings, curriculum development, budget development, exhibitions, year-end events, and archiving student work
* Manage databases, calendars, web sites, contact information, mailing lists and email accounts to facilitate department administrative function
* Promote SSCS and its programs through communications, printed materials, and new and innovative media;
* Support and oversee department budget
* Take, distribute, and archive minutes for SSCS Department
* Teach one or two courses per semester in SSCS in area of academic expertise
* Support the work of the Global South Center
* Oversee student employee
* Carry out special projects and perform all other related duties as required
We seek a dynamic candidate who is a self-starter and has a range of administrative and academic skills to provide support to the SSCS Chairperson, who the candidate will work closely with to support management of the SSCS Department and the newly formed Global South Center. The position requires a recent Ph.D. in a discipline within the Social Science, the Humanities, or a relevant inter-disciplinary field.
Skills must include strong administrative experience, strong experience in managing and overseeing projects, experience advising undergraduate students, excellent written and verbal communication, strong and demonstrated skills in organizing and managing large task loads and setting priorities, ability to work effectively and take direction from SSCS Chairperson. Strong research profile, ability to innovate, and understanding of arts and design environment also a plus.
SALARY is commensurate with education and experience.
TO APPLY: Please submit your cover letter, resume/CV and the names and contact information for three professional references (at least one from prior administrative position) via our internal application site at http://tinyurl.com/ycfekyna
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=ZWZhcnJlbGwuMjc5MDkuMjg5M0BwcmF0dGluc3RpdHV0ZS5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20