Director, Medical Student Research Office
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||June 15, 2017|
The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai invites applications for the Director of the Medical Student Research Office. This position, on the Curricular Affairs team, will be responsible for leading the Medical Student Research Office (MSRO) and will develop, implement, assess and maintain the necessary infrastructure and curriculum to ensure student success and faculty preparation, engagement, and compliance.
The Director will manage the Associate Directors, Support Team, and Track Advisors to support students’ engagement in a broad range of research and service opportunities. The Director will offer students guidance and advice in their pursuit of scholarly activities beyond the core curriculum. This position reports to the Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education.
- Oversee the continuous development, implementation, direction,
and evaluation of the longitudinal curriculum for the medical
student research requirement (SCHOLaR) Program
- This will include managing the didactic curriculum and course syllabi and materials, ensuring students meet specific milestones, and retaining and recruiting research mentors.
- Liaise with MSRO team and medical school curricular leadership to implement, review, and revise as necessary the course objectives to ensure ongoing quality.
- Oversee SCHOLaR Mentors and Track Advisors
- Mentor and assist students with selection of mentors, projects, and track advisors, including evaluating student projects in terms of topic, feasibility, and progress
- Ensure that students successfully complete mandated milestones in the curriculum
- Recruit and train mentors and track advisors
- Manage confidential evaluations of mentors
- Troubleshoot issues with students.
- Ensure students meet their scholarly requirement.
- Oversee the Summer Research Program.
- Strategically determine which students and projects may be eligible for summer research funding.
- Identify new sources of funding and research mentors who may have funding for students
- In partnership with the Associate Directors, advise students on scholarly year opportunities and approve scholarly year request. Ensure scholarly year proposals have clear objectives, timeline and outcome, as well as appropriate mentorship.
- Ensure research electives have clear objectives, timeline and outcome, as well as appropriate mentorship.
- Oversee design of Research Day including the selection of speakers and awards committee
- Oversee the Distinction in Research Award. Ensure eligibility requirements for award are relevant and up to date.
- Oversee Patient-Oriented Research Training and Leadership (PORTAL) program
- Ensures admissions-related publicity and materials remain up-to-date.
- Oversee the application and selection process for students applying to PORTAL.
- Oversee content and partners with graduate school to ensure students meet the various requirements and milestones of the program
- Oversee selection of faculty preceptors for monthly PORTAL journal clubs
- Speak about specific programs, as needed, at class meetings and focused meetings
- Review and approve early assurance application theses
- Adjudicate student scholarly travel requests
- Manage Research staff, providing ongoing coaching, feedback and support to build their capacity to further the mission of the department.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience in the research process
- Ability to develop and implement curriculum
- Ability to work with diverse personalities, and the wide variety of professional backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to think strategically, remaining focused on goals and objectives
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and be persistent, and solve problems as they arise
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience mentoring students
- Ability to analyze information, summarize findings and present them in ways easily understandable to decision-makers
Education and Experience
- A Master’s or doctoral degree with experience and knowledge in translational, applied, or clinical research
- History of working successfully with interdisciplinary teams
- 5 years experience in Academic or Administrative Management field.
- Proven history of managing staff and their performance
- Strong preference for experience with mentoring, curriculum design, research processes, and shaping of project ideas.
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke's, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to email@example.com
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.