Vice President, Administrative Services (East Los Angeles College)
Los Angeles Community College District in California
|Deadline||July 21, 2017|
|Date Posted||June 12, 2017|
The Los Angeles Community College District invites applications to fill the position of Vice President, Administrative Services at East Los Angeles College. The ideal candidate will be an accomplished business professional with a record of success in an educational environment.
EAST LOS ANGELES COLLEGE
East Los Angeles College (ELAC) is a large urban college located in Monterey Park, East of Downtown Los Angeles. The college has an international, multicultural student body that complements the 14 communities comprising its primary service area. With more than 40,000 students enrolling every semester, ELAC serves an important role in its community through its academic, career-technical, noncredit, student support service and Public Service Academy programs. These offerings serve as gateways to a better life for many in the community and as a primary access point to higher education. The college offers a full spectrum of degree programs, career certificate programs, and transfer curriculum that allows students to successfully complete their educational goals. ELAC utilizes many unique facilities that include many new instructional buildings, a state-of-the-art performance and fine arts center, the Vincent Price Museum and the off-site South Gate Educational Center. Each year, the college helps more than 1,000 students transfer to UC and CSU systems. College leadership at ELAC represents an opportunity to greatly impact the lives of tens of thousands of students and to interact with a gifted and dedicated faculty and staff.
The Los Angeles Community College District is the largest community college district in California. Its nine community colleges are located throughout an area of 882 square miles within the County of Los Angeles. It includes the entire City of Los Angeles, a number of other incorporated cities such as Alhambra, Beverly Hills, Culver City and Monterey Park as well as unincorporated areas of the County. The District serves a student population of approximately 135,000 and offers student transfer education to four-year colleges and universities, associate degrees, vocational education, and a diversity of certificate programs in special interest areas.
The Vice President, Administrative Services is responsible for the effective conduct of the business affairs of the college and assists the institution to effectively use its resources to achieve its educational mission and improve institutional effectiveness:
- Plans, directs and evaluates the business operations of the college including budget formulation & management, accounting & financial reporting, facilities planning & construction, building & grounds operations and maintenance, information technology, procurement & contracts management, human resources, enterprise services administration, and safety & security services.
- Serves as chief advisor to the College President on strategic matters related to the business operations of a college.
- Establishes the objectives, scope of service, structure, staffing, work methods, and performance standards for organizational units comprising Business Services and monitors units for effectiveness and operational efficiency.
- Evaluates the merit of requests from departments and offices for money, staffing, equipment and facilities, and recommends the allocation and expenditure of resources.
- Directs the study of business problems of broad scope and complexity with the goal of developing effective managerial policies, procedures, methods and organizational structures.
- Directs the design implementation, revision, & maintenance of management information and control systems to provide complete, accurate, and timely data for use in formulating and justifying financial, staffing, and material requests in conjunction with District information technology staff.
- Assesses the impact of proposed policies, procedures, legislation, and organizational changes affecting the ability of the college to effectively and efficiently provide business services and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Collaborates with District specialists on the implementation and integration of District policies and procedures into college operations and ascertainment of solutions to unusual and complex business problems.
- Participates as a member of the management team by providing authoritative business advice for use in making decisions and establishing the priorities, goals, and objectives of the college.
- Participates in grievances, disciplinary meetings, and other employment related activities.
- Serves as a liaison between the College President and all segments of the college regarding the requirements and procedures governing the business services of the college.
- Represents the college at a variety of meetings, committees, and conferences addressing operating programs and overall management of the college and District.
- Maintains liaison with industry, organizations, and individuals in the college community to facilitate business transactions and to enhance the accessibility of community resources to students.
- Serves as a liaison with the college’s ASO and foundation(s) on business and fiscal matters.
- Assumes the duties, obligations, and responsibilities of the College President, as assigned, during his/her absence.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this job classification is from $156,882 to $184,217 annually. Within this salary range, the successful candidate’s starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- 24 days paid vacation annually
- 12 full-pay and 88 half-pay days of illness leave annually
- Medical, dental and vision care plans for employee and dependents
- $50,000 District-paid life insurance policy
- At least 15 paid holidays annually
- Public Employees Retirement System
A bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree from a recognized four-year college or university. One of the aforementioned degrees must be in the field of business administration, public administration, finance, economics, or a related field AND Three years in a full-time, paid management- or administrative-level position with responsibility for managing/administering the business operations of a public agency or private organization employing a minimum of 100 employees. Qualifying experience must have included responsibility for managing/administering at least two line functions such as facilities management and construction, finance, human resources, information technology, and purchasing and contracts. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. A valid Calif. Class C driver’s license must be obtained within 60 days of appointment. Travel throughout the District may be required.
The successful candidate is expected to have knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures pertaining to the construction and renovation of public buildings; principles and practices of financial management; principles and practices of governmental purchasing and material management; principles of business law and contracts; Federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies affecting business operations of a college; principles and practices of property management and space utilization; principles and techniques of management analysis and program evaluation; legislative and administrative processes; principles of organization and management; principles and practices of personnel management; characteristics and capabilities of management information systems, software, and hardware related to business operations; principles of supervision, training, and staff development; principles and objectives of shared governance; purpose, functions, policies, operating systems and programs of administrative units of the District.
The successful candidate is expected to be able to provide strategic leadership in planning, directing, and evaluating the business affairs of a college; relate business knowledge to the needs and characteristics of a collegiate environment; apply a high level of sound, independent judgment in the solution of complex business problems; establish priorities and integrate business services and programs into the overall management of a college; plan and direct diverse and complex operating programs and services; execute policies, rules, directions, and procedures of the District; prepare effective oral and written communications, reports and presentations; communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students, civic and other groups, and the general public; effectively utilize management information systems in the performance of duties; anticipate conditions and plan ahead; evaluate work methods and performance; persuade others as required to gain acceptance of recommendations & decisions; stimulate teamwork & promote cohesiveness to achieve business goals; conduct effective community fund raising campaigns; establish and maintain effective relationships with the business community and administrative and executive offices of the District; exercise tact, originality, and resourcefulness; motivate, direct, and develop subordinate staff.
Completed applications must be submitted online by using our online employment system - https://jobaps.com/laccd
Completed applications must be received by 4:00 p.m., Friday, July 21, 2017.
A competitive examination process will be administered and will consist of the following parts:
- Application review to select a number of applicants whose qualifications most closely match the requirements of the position. Those applicants will proceed to the:
- Written Essay & Oral Interview. The written essay will be obtained immediately prior to, and evaluated during, the oral interview.
Candidates passing all parts of the examination process shall have their names placed on an unranked eligible list of candidates. The eligible list will be forwarded to the College who will then conduct hiring interviews of eligibles on the list and make their final selection.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobaps.com/laccd