SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS AND PROVOST
University of Cincinnati in Ohio
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||June 12, 2017|
Very few urban serving research universities have earned accolades like UC. As we celebrate our 200th anniversary we need a visionary to collaborate with our President and lead us into our next century. We are seeking an inspiring and innovative leader with the energy, courage and heart to continue the positive trajectory of the University. UC is on the move and in this role you will move us and move with us as we make a huge impact on our community, our nation, and the world.
Reporting to our newly appointed President, Dr. Neville Pinto, the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost serves on the President’s Cabinet. The Provost must be a scholar who champions academic priorities, supports student-centered leadership, practices equity and inclusion, and provides leadership on all aspects of UC’s mission in areas of teaching, research, scholarship, creative work, and service. The Provost will be a key driver of the President’s action-based paradigm to accelerate the positive momentum of the University and will be instrumental in promoting academic excellence, fostering innovation and embracing creative problem solving in an inclusive environment focused on impact.
- Articulate and advocate for academic priorities to assure our status as a world-class research and teaching institution;
- Champion academic excellence through collaboration across the full spectrum of UC’s colleges and disciplines to support UC’s unique blend of programming; help create new programs of distinction, and expand innovative approaches to teaching and research;
- Collaborate with the Deans, faculty leadership, Vice Presidents, staff, and the President to expand and efficiently manage financial resources to support excellent teaching, research and creative production - a majority of UC’s budget flows through the Provost’s Office;
- Oversee processes that recruit and retain a faculty ranked among the world’s best, as well as attracting an outstanding student body;
- Demonstrate respect for faculty shared-governance by working with Faculty Senate and other faculty leadership groups
- Encourages student participation in all aspects of campus life;
- Advance the University’s globalization efforts; and
- Secure a leading role in Ohio’s University System, as well as partnerships with local, national, and global communities.
- Relevant experience at a similar institution and held the post of Dean, Provost or Vice Provost (or equivalent title); and
- Able to be qualified as tenured Full Professor in one of our colleges and/or has a terminal degree from an accredited institution
The ideal candidate will have a history of successful leadership across disciplines and experience in administrative positions of increasing responsibility and varied experience, preferably at a major research university with diverse units similar to UC. Additional traits highly sought include:
- Critical thinking skills with a deep understanding of budgets and the ability to challenge on financial decisions when deemed appropriate;
- Demonstrated record of maximizing and developing technical, financial, administrative, research and educational resources to create, maintain, advance and promote an excellent academic environment;
- Commitment to equity and inclusion and a proven track record of achieving diversity goals;
- History of collaboration with faculty, staff, and students with a respect for a collective bargaining environment;
- Inventive visionary who develops creative solutions, pursues innovative strategies and is not risk adverse;
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission and role of Student Affairs—with previous experience supervising, working in and collaborating with Student Affairs preferable;
- Professionalism with the utmost integrity;
- History of creating diverse, high performing teams and empowering others to realize their goals;
- Motivational team-builder who fosters collaboration and enables, encourages and inspires individuals to work toward common goals and strive toward excellence;
- Keen focus on impact and outcomes, with a history of achieving goals;
- Strong ability to relate to and understand the student population at all levels.
ABOUT UC & CINCINNATI
Today, the University of Cincinnati is classified as a Research University (Very High Research Activity) by the Carnegie Commission and is ranked as one of America’s top 35 public research universities by the National Science Foundation. UC jumped 17 spots in the U.S. News & World Report rankings in the past two years alone. In addition to being named a “green university” by Princeton Review, UC has been named one of the world’s most beautiful campuses by Forbes and Delta Sky magazines. Learn more at www.uc.edu.
The City of Cincinnati was rated a Best Place to live by US News & World Report and provides both urban and suburban life as well as river views and rolling hills. Our city offers a wealth of amenities that include professional sports, world class entertainment, a vibrant arts scene, gorgeous parks and nature trails, acclaimed museums, a celebrated zoo, a variety of restaurants and a flourishing riverfront scene. We actually offer the features of two cities when you include the thriving area of northern Kentucky just across the river. Affordable and family-friendly with excellent public and private schools it’s no wonder multiple Fortune 500 companies call Cincinnati home. Visit www.cincinnatiusa.com to learn more.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter addressing qualifications and a current curriculum vitae to ExecutiveSearch@uc.edu. The position will remain open until filled.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked upon receipt of CV to provide a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://ExecutiveSearch@uc.edu