Senior Director of Development
Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||June 8, 2017|
The Bloomsburg University Foundation, Inc.
INVITING APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS FOR THE
Senior Director of Development
The Bloomsburg University Foundation, Inc., invites applications and nominations for the position of Senior Director of Development. The Foundation seeks an experienced, collaborative fundraiser and administrator to serve as the chief development officer and director of the fundraising activities that serve the needs of Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. The Senior Director reports to the Executive Director of the Foundation and is under the direction of the Vice President for University Advancement.
For complete information, see the Search Profile at http://www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/BUFdn.pdf
THE LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY
For more than 175 years, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania has been providing educational experiences that transform lives. The University takes an interest in every student, developing men and women who use the privilege of a college education not just for self, but also for the good of others. The alumni — many of whom are first-generation college students from across Pennsylvania and beyond — point to their experiences at Bloomsburg as setting the course for future accomplishments.
Bloomsburg University is experiencing great momentum in its enrollment, programs, and fundraising. The institution is different than it was even a decade ago: greater in number, broader in programs, and more engaged with its community and world. What has stayed constant is its commitment to prepare students for personal and professional success.
A separate 501(c)(3) organization, The Bloomsburg University Foundation, Inc. was incorporated in 1970 as the philanthropic arm of Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania. When Dr. David Soltz was appointed President of Bloomsburg in 2008, a priority was placed on resource development, and the BU Foundation evolved into an active fundraising organization for the University, growing from a staff of three to a professional team of 20.
Governed by a 23-member Board of Directors, the BU Foundation is operationally funded through a service contract with Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, which covers the majority of operational expenses.
Over the past nine years, the BU Foundation has established a track record of success. In 2015, the University and the BU Foundation publicly launched It’s Personal: The Campaign for Bloomsburg University. With a $50 million goal, the campaign is the largest fundraising initiative in the University’s history.
The initial conclusion of the fundraising campaign was set for December 2017. However, the campaign met its goal in 2016, with the funds raised now topping more than $60 million, so it will conclude six months early, upon the retirement of President Soltz on June 30, 2017.
The campaign has demonstrated the generosity of Bloomsburg alumni and the strong support of the community and foundations for the University and its mission and programs. Due to the success of the campaign, the University has renewed its operating contract with the BU Foundation for an additional six years.
This position provides an excellent opportunity for an experienced fundraiser who has the creativity, drive, and ability to direct a successful development program as a leader, but who also fully embraces the role of a team member and a mentor.
The Senior Director of Development (Senior Director) is responsible for the supervision of major gifts, annual giving, planned giving, and communications functions. The Senior Director builds, maintains, and strengthens relationships among the various Bloomsburg University constituencies. A key member of the leadership team, the Senior Director is instrumental in the development and execution of fundraising campaigns as well as the Foundation’s strategic growth.
The Senior Director reports to the Executive Director of the BU Foundation and takes direction from the Vice President for University Advancement, who sets the fundraising priorities with the President and oversees External Relations, Alumni and Professional Engagement, Career Development, Internships, and Marketing and Communications.
The Senior Director will work closely and travel with the University President on fundraising initiatives. The Senior Director also will maintain professional relationships with key leadership within the University and the BU Foundation.
To be successful in this position, the Senior Director must be a team builder who is a creative and strategic thinker. This administrator must have the ability to be not only a player and coach in leading and owning all development efforts, but also a partner in identifying and seizing opportunities that benefit Bloomsburg and enables continued success.
The Senior Director will have an active role in developing, mentoring, and building the team, so the staff can learn to identify and take advantage of opportunities that become available.
The Senior Director will understand the importance of actively seeking input from administrators when developing and shaping ideas and strategies. And, will have the confidence and ability to bring ideas and strategies to fruition.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Manages development and communications team by providing leadership, training, and mentoring.
- Establishes research driven results for major, annual, and planned giving programs by setting short- and long-term goals for the development team that encourage creativity, innovation, and growth.
- Plans, organizes, and conducts simple and complex campaigns supporting students, academic departments, athletics, and other University initiatives.
- Manages a personal portfolio of major gift prospects.
- Understands the needs and priorities of donors, recognizing past gifts and cultivating current and future gifts.
- Directs prospect management to cultivate major donor relationships while working with the Director of Operations to ensure all major gift officers have appropriate prospect portfolios and adequate research.
- Develops strong donor and volunteer involvement by planning, initiating, coordinating, and collaborating with various university areas to foster and support engagement opportunities.
- Directs multi-channel communications to assure consistent unified messaging across platforms and affiliates.
- Develops and manages a budget consistent with goals and oversees expenditures in an effort to control costs.
Candidates must have a minimum of seven years of professional fundraising experience managing institutional development programs, including campaign management, major gifts, planned giving, and annual giving. A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
Other requirements include:
- Commitment to embracing the missions of Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania and The Bloomsburg University Foundation, Inc.
- Experience managing a team of development professionals with a demonstrated commitment to teamwork and interest in working in a collaborative setting within complex institutions
- Ability to manage a defined portfolio of major gift prospects to closure
- Demonstrated leadership and effectiveness in developing and accomplishing organizational and financial goals
- Knowledge and experience with computer programs that support the Advancement Department, including Microsoft Office programs and Raiser’s Edge
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to build, foster, and maintain relationships with both internal and external constituencies, including administrators, faculty, trustees, volunteer leaders, students, donors, and prospects
- Proven self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, motivator, strategic thinker, and innovator with the ability to set priorities
- Strong work ethic, evidence of good judgment, attention to details, and demonstrable personal integrity with a sense of humor
- Superior communication skills to express, orally and in writing, the missions and fundraising goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion
- Willingness and ability to travel locally and nationally and to work non-traditional hours
- Maintain a valid driver’s license
BLOOMSBURG UNIVERSITY (BU)
Bloomsburg is the third largest of the 14 universities in Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. Located 75 miles north of Harrisburg and 137 miles west of Philadelphia, the University overlooks the town of Bloomsburg, located along the beautiful Susquehanna River.
The University’s 366-acre campus is situated near the community’s business district. BU also has a satellite location in Center City, Philadelphia, and degree-completion programs at five of the state’s community colleges.
Ranked among the nation’s top northeast universities, Bloomsburg offers 55 programs leading to bachelor’s degrees, 50 minors, and 19 graduate programs, including a doctorate in audiology — each preparing students for personal and professional success through experiential learning opportunities that complement classroom learning.
Approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled in courses across four colleges: Business, Education, Liberal Arts, and Science and Technology. The College of Business programs are accredited by AACSB International, along with a business education program accredited by CAEP, as well as a minor in Business and three graduate programs. The Department of Mathematical and Digital Sciences offers an ABET-accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science.
The 526 faculty members bring both expertise and experience in their field of study to the classroom. Ninety-two percent hold terminal degrees. The student-faculty ratio at is 20:1, with 23.5 percent of the classes averaging 31 students.
In the 2016-2017 entering class, 33.6 percent are first generation freshmen and 21.9 percent are underrepresented minority freshmen. The freshman-to-sophomore retention was 77.5 percent and the 6-year graduation rate was 61.6 percent. Some 86 percent of the full-time undergraduates receive financial aid, with more than $125.5 million awarded by all sources.
An active campus community, students participate in more than 200 organizations and more than two dozen fraternities and sororities. Students perform approximately 73,560 hours of volunteer work annually.
BU sponsors 20 intercollegiate men’s and women’s sports with more than 500 student-athletes who compete at the NCAA Division II level within the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference with the exception of men’s wrestling, which competes at the NCAA Division I level. The Huskies have won 20 national championships.
Bloomsburg is a progressive small town with enormous community spirit. The town is family friendly and offers affordable housing, quality schools, and great outdoor recreation. Five major cities, including New York City, are within driving distance for day trips.
APPLICATION & NOMINATIONS
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
Application packet must include: a) Letter of interest, b) Resume, c) At least five references with full contact information, including emails (References will not be contacted without consent from applicants.)
Submit application to: BloomsburgFdn@myersmcrae.com
For best consideration, submit application by June 30, 2017.
Nominations should include contact information with emails for the individual nominated. Submit nominations to: BloomsburgFdnemail@example.com
Kenny Daugherty, President of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, is assisting The Bloomsburg University Foundation, Inc. with this search.
The Bloomsburg University Foundation, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200 | Macon, Georgia 31201
www.myersmcrae.com | 478.330.6222
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to BloomsburgFdn@myersmcrae.com
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.