Vice President of Marketing and Communications
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||June 8, 2017|
Overview of the Position
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications provides strategic direction and oversees programs that enhance and promote the image of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. This is a high-impact role at the institution and works closely with key internal and external constituencies including prospective students, alumni and friends, current and prospective donors, the campus community, and local and global communities.
Leading a diverse team of creative professionals, the Vice President has responsibility for the institution's brand and image, and directs the strategy and planning for all communications, marketing, and public relations functions. At the heart of this position is a passion for realizing the values and mission of Embry-Riddle through thoughtful and consistent implementation of creative messaging strategies that engage multiple audiences.
The Vice President reports to the President of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and is a member of the President's Leadership Team. He or she will also have significant interaction with the Board of Trustees and the Enrollment Management Leaders at all three campuses.
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications are the Associate VP for Marketing Strategy and Promotions, Associate VP for Marketing and Creative Services, Director of Corporate Communications, Director of Media Relations, Director of Communications for Daytona Beach, Director of Marketing and Communications for Prescott and the Director of ERAU Speaker Series. A total of 38 people work in the department.
In partnership with the many stakeholders of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the vice president will shape the College's communications vision and strategy and lead the marketing and communications team to share the unique and evolving voice and narrative of the institution with multiple communities in creative and compelling ways.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the development of an innovative strategy for the marketing and communications function at the University. The Vice President will be an innovator, relationship builder, strategist and collaborator. He or she will bring oversight abilities along with an exceptional background in the technical aspects of the job. At the core of this vital work is finding, shaping and sharing the narrative stories of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University to its many communities.
Specific responsibilities include:
Strategy and Development
- Work closely with the Enrollment Management Teams in recruitment and research efforts that support enrollment goals, affirm institutional strengths, and evaluate constituency perception and satisfaction with Embry-Riddle.
- Set a bold and comprehensive marketing and communications plan that furthers the university’s existing strategic priorities. Act as the visionary leader toward achievement of the goals of the function's strategic plan.
- Elevate the image of Embry-Riddle through enhancing a consistent visual and narrative brand throughout all activities and programs.
- Support the work of institutional advancement with high quality marketing and communication.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan for the Office of the President.
- Continually improve university marketing and communications through the use of carefully selected research and surveys.
- Oversee the crisis communication plan for all campuses.
Leadership and Management
- Provide comprehensive strategic management and direction to the marketing and communications function. Manage and oversee the following departments:
- Marketing Strategy and Promotions
- Marketing and Creative Services
- Media Relations
- ERAU Speaker Series
- Hire, train, coach and develop the Directors in the department. Bring a servant leadership style and a sophisticated management approach to the job, with an eye to the ongoing development and engagement of each staff member.
- Create a strong, cohesive and collaborative culture in the marketing and communications department. Reward and recognize staff for outstanding work. Celebrate success.
- Manage department budgets and assure appropriate resource allocation to key priorities of the department.
- Serve as a member of the President's Leadership Team and member of ad hoc task groups as assigned.
External Relations and Advertising
- Develop and maintain professional contacts and affiliations with public relations firms, advertising channels, and other external resources that can assist the college in its marketing efforts.
- Proactively seek earned media opportunities to elevate the profile and recognition of Embry-Riddle’s accomplishments as the leading aeronautical institution.
- Manage all advertising and promotion campaigns (online, social, and print) to ensure that messages are accurate, brand consistent, and effectively support strategic goals and marketing objectives.
- Support and enhance the work of departments that have significant external relations (e.g., Athletics, Development, External Relations, Career Services, Enrollment Management, etc.).
- Oversee editorial direction for all print publications, web content, social media platforms, and design, advertising, and media efforts.
- Create an integrated content strategy that reflects key branding attributes and cross-department goals that support Embry-Riddle’s strategic priorities and initiatives.
The fully qualified candidate for this key position should be an experienced and passionate leader in a marketing and communications function. The successful candidate will have a shared commitment to the mission and values of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, and the ability to capture and articulate the uniqueness of the institution to a broad array of communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- A fully qualified candidate will possess 10 years of executive experience in marketing and communications in higher education, business, government or related sectors.
- Proven ability to create and implement an integrated communications and marketing plan that aligns priorities of the department the institution's overall strategy and direction.
- Demonstrated versatility in communication ability across multiple media platforms (print, web, social, etc.).
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, both at a strategic level and with a thorough attention to detail.
- Experience managing high impact, controversial and high-profile issues.
- Background in strategic planning, project management and management of objectives via dashboards or similar metrics.
- Demonstrated commitment to uphold and celebrate diversity and inclusion with colleagues, stakeholders, vendors, and partners.
- Ability to analyze and measure the effectiveness of communications and marketing efforts as related to specific objectives and goals.
- Master’s degree and prior leadership experience in Higher Education is strongly preferred.
- Communications management experience related to higher education or related nonprofit organizations.
- Meaningful knowledge of the latest communications trends, including leading-edge tactics for creative use of social media and other digital communication.
Leadership Qualities and Attributes
- Proven ability to develop and lead a superior performing, collaborative professional organization. This is done through influencing, inspiring, mentoring, recognizing and developing full-time staff and student staff. Create consensus and engage a diverse group at all levels to work toward common goals.
- Intentional focus on positive, progressive change initiatives and a strong bias for progress. This will stem from a can-do attitude, a focus on specific, ambitious goals and results-orientation along with a demonstrated sense of personal accountability for achieving results.
- Passion and commitment to delivering the highest-quality services to the institution and its stakeholders. Encourage and promote creativity and innovation.
- Professional and enthusiastic but genuine demeanor, effective one-to-one and group communication skills, a capacity to build and maintain respectful and trusting relationships, and an ability to listen.
- High ethical standards and integrity paired with the ability to earn the respect of others.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and a history of building broad and successful relationships and partnerships. Interact authentically with multiple stakeholder groups and honor the views of each.
- Impeccable judgment, discretion, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Relentless commitment to the mission of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://embryriddle.taleo.net/careersection/002/jobdetail.ftl?job=170173