Assistant/Associate Professor & CRC in Neuroscience and Learning Disorders

Faculty of Education, Western University in Canada

Deadline Open until filled
Date Posted May 15, 2017
Type Tenured, tenure track
Salary Commensurate with experience
Employment Type Full-time

The Faculty of Education at Western University, one of Canada’s leading research-intensive universities, invites applications for a Tier 2 Canada Research Chair (CRC). The Canada Research Chairs program is a federally-funded program that seeks to achieve excellence by attracting and retaining the most accomplished and promising researchers.

The candidate for the Tier 2 CRC Chair will be an excellent emerging researcher who has demonstrated creativity and the potential to achieve international recognition in neuroscience and learning disorders in the next 5-10 years. The candidate will hold a PhD or equivalent in neuroscience or psychology with an outstanding record of research. The nominee must be engaged in an original, innovative program of research, which would have the potential to attract excellent graduate students. The candidate will be engaged in interdisciplinary research on the neuroscience of developmental models, diagnosis, prevention, and/or intervention with respect to disorders that affect learning, such as dyscalculia, dyslexia, intellectual developmental disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism or traumatic brain injury. Preference will be given to candidates whose research mostly clearly connects education and the neuroscience of learning disorders, and demonstrates a record of establishing successful research collaborations.

The successful candidate will be appointed to a full-time tenure-track (probationary) position at the level of Assistant or Associate Professor. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position will be effective January 1 2018, or as soon as possible thereafter. The candidate will be expected to collaborate with the Faculty of Education in developing their nomination for the Canada Research Chair program, particularly the proposed program of research. The CRC will be expected to establish an independent, highly productive program of research in Neuroscience and Learning Disorders which will attract external funding, including tri-council funding. The candidate will also be expected to attract excellent graduate students and supervise them effectively.  

A CRC in Neuroscience and Learning Disorders will become a key member of the Institute for Child and Youth Development, which will include a new Centre for the Science of Learning. The CRC will have the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues from the Faculty of Education, as well as colleagues from Brain and Mind Institute (, and to become an associate member of the Brain and Mind Institute. Brain and Mind is a signature area research for Western University, which employs over one hundred researchers in the area of neuroscience/brain & mind. Further information about this signature area can be found here: They will also have the opportunity to access Western’s fMRI and EEG imaging equipment, and to apply for internal funding for through the BrainSCAN Accelerator Internal granting program. This researcher will have the opportunity to conduct research at the Mary J. Wright Research and Education Centre at Merrymount (, which serves 8000 children per year.

Western is a large, research-intensive university with approximately 35,000 full-time students, and a full range of academic and professional programs. Further information about Western can be found here: http:/ Further information about the Faculty of Education can be found at The university is located in London, Ontario, a city with a population of 384,000. London has several large parks, an international airport, theatres, and a thriving arts community, along with reasonably priced housing.

In accordance with the regulations set for Tier 2 Canada Research Chairs (, Tier 2 chairs are intended for exceptional emerging scholars (i.e., candidates must have less than 10 years of experience as an active researcher in their field at the time of nomination). Applicants who are more than 10 years from having earned their highest degree (and where career breaks exist, such as maternity, parental or extended sick leave, clinical training, etc.) may have their eligibility for a Tier 2 Chair assessed through the program’s Tier 2 justification process; please contact Research Development at Western at for more information. Please consult the Canada Research Chair website for full information, including further details on eligibility criteria.

Applicants should submit the following: A letter of interest; a curriculum vitae; a 1000 word outline of the candidate’s research program, including past accomplishments and future plans; a 500 word statement about their approach to graduate supervision; the names and contact information of three referees; and a completed application form (available at Please send the completed application in PDF form to:

Dr. Vicki Schwean, Dean,

Faculty of Education, Western University

1137 Western Road

London, Ontario, CANADA, N6G1G7


Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin after August 1, 2017.

Western University is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.

In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Vangie Castillo at

How To Apply

It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.

  • Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
  • Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
  • Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
Sign Up & Apply with Vitae

To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to