Major Gift Officer, Arts & Sciences
University of Wyoming Foundation in Wyoming
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||April 20, 2017|
The Major Gift Officer (MGO), shall serve as a senior development professional for the UW Foundation with a primary focus on securing major gifts ($25,000 +) in support of the University of Wyoming’s College of Arts and Sciences.
- Manage a portfolio of 100 -150 donors and donor prospects
- Qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift ($25,000 +) donors and donor prospects
- Be willing and able to travel a minimum of 30% of work schedule
- Develop high trust relationships with donors, donor prospects, UW alumni and friends
- Participate as a key team member in a centralized development structure and play a critical role in building a collaborative, team-oriented environment among University leadership, faculty and staff.
- Support the UW College of Arts and Science sin a comprehensive fundraising effort with an emphasis on student, faculty and programmatic support.
- Serve as the primary liaison between UW Foundation and the College of Arts and Sciences
- Meet annual individual fundraising goals in addition to other activity goals – face to face visits, substantive donor contacts, major and planned gift proposals.
- Work closely with UW Foundation staff, the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Department Heads, other Deans and Directors, and faculty members in planning/identifying major gift fundraising initiatives and in securing major gifts in support of UW’s mission.
- Be familiar with and utilize on a daily basis the Vision, Mission, Objectives & Core Values of the UW Foundation in discharging the responsibilities of this position
- Successful relationship building techniques
- Donor motivations in relation to philanthropy
- Mission, vision and values of the University of Wyoming and UW Foundation
- The University of Wyoming including its structure, colleges and units
SKILLS AND ABILITIES TO:
- Align donor interests with UW programs and initiatives
- Communicate effectively - both orally and in writing – with donors, donor prospects, faculty and UW leadership
- Function successfully in a collaborative team environment
- Initiate contact and qualify donor prospects with initial assessment/exploratory meetings and visits, following up with correspondence, phone calls, and additional contacts as appropriate.
- Plan and conduct visits and other ongoing contact to build and cultivate relationships with donors, friends and alumni, effectively presenting the case for philanthropic support and explaining gift opportunities.
- Appropriately and proactively steward donors.
- Artfully ask for the right gift, at the right time, in the right way.
- Actively participate in campus advisory board meetings and activities.
- Participate in UW external relations events and activities as appropriate.
- Oversee designated support staff.
- Actively participate in the prospect management tracking program to maintain accurate prospect information and ensure appropriate cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts.
- Ability to learn and become knowledgeable of planned giving techniques in order to maximize planned giving opportunities
- Collaborate with colleagues in discussing prospects, coordinating solicitations and creating materials in support of College/Unit fundraising efforts.
- Passion for the importance and advancement of higher education; specifically the University of Wyoming
- Demonstrated strength in relationship building skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent of education/experience in closely related fields such as marketing, public relations, communication, sales
- Experience with non-profits
- Experience within higher education
- Experience in successfully negotiating and securing major gifts ($25K and larger)
- Proven communication skills with an ability to write and speak persuasively about the role of philanthropy in higher education
- Full-time experience in development/philanthropy
- Must have a valid driver’s license
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://jobs.uwyo.edu/psp/EREC/UWEXTERNAL/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?SiteId=5