Dean of Student Labor
Berea College in Kentucky
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||April 17, 2017|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Berea College achieved national distinction as the first coeducational and interracial college in the South. With an emphasis on service to the people of Appalachia and beyond, Berea enrolls 1,600 students from 40 states and 60 countries. The College has a longstanding commitment to interracial education; here, people of different races seek to learn from and about each other, while also living together. Berea is among the most racially diverse private liberal arts colleges in the United States. The college admits only students whose families are unable to afford the high cost of tuition and awards each of them a four-year tuition scholarship. Berea’s students excel in the College’s supportive but demanding academic environment, and many are the first in their families to graduate from college. In addition to an excellent liberal arts education, we require students to participate in a graded labor program (10-15 hours per week)
To learn more about Berea’s unique form of work learning service visit:
To learn more about work colleges visit http://www.workcolleges.org/
Berea College is always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team. If you think you are ready to be a part of an exciting team, then we encourage you to continue with this applicant friendly, online job application!
Berea College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
To apply for this position please click on the following link:
Reporting to the President and as a member of the President’s cabinet, with whom he or she collaborates in carrying out the mission of Berea College, the Dean of Labor has primary responsibility for the planning, design, administrative oversight and assessment of the College's Student Labor Program and Student Payments. The Dean of Labor provides leadership and guides program implementation within a highly collaborative and team-based organizational structure. This position also has College policy and fiscal responsibilities. Experience in the Labor Program and participating in the co-curricular activities of Residential life constitute the two most important educational experiences of the Berea College student, and for this reason the Dean of Labor and the Vice President for Student Life work in close cooperation.With assistance from the student labor department, the Dean of labor fulfills the following specific duties:
- Serve with voice and vote on the Administrative Committee, the senior management committee of the College, which functions as well as the President’s Cabinet.
- Build relationships with and interacts regularly with labor supervisors
- Provide visionary leadership in conjunction with other campus partners in planning and promoting the relevancy of experiential learning and the future direction of the labor program.
- Establish and maintain Labor Program policies and procedures with due consideration for the College's commitments, learning goals and workplace expectations, financial aid and other policies, fiscal requirements, pertinent laws, federal regulations, and Labor Program strategic plan.
- Provide leadership for the Labor Team, and train, supervise, and evaluate staff as necessary for effective and efficient program administration, employing the performance evaluation procedures of the College, and promoting educational growth and the professional and personal development of all members of the Labor Office staff.
- Develop and implement budgets, compensation structures, payments, classification systems and other components of the program.
- Allocate labor positions within budget parameters to achieve program purposes.
- Serve as a member of and advisor to the Labor Program Council and represent the Labor Program on other committees and to other departments as needed.
- Establish and maintain appropriate appeal, grievance, probation and suspension processes.
- Provide for orientation and on-going training for supervisors and assistance for labor supervisors with job development, analysis and evaluation.
- Provide for coordination of programs and celebrations that recognize student work and highlight labor-learning-service connections, e.g. Labor Day, convocations, etc.
- Participate in the Work Colleges Consortium representing Berea College in all Consortium activities, and externally promote the Berea College Labor Program in other appropriate ways.
- The Dean of Labor takes joint responsibility with the VP for Student Life in staffing the Labor and Student Life Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field, preferable Education
- Significant (7-10 years) administrative experience in a higher education with leadership\administrative experience.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to supervise others; appropriate technical skill; superior interpersonal and communication skills; a service orientation; ability to balance multiple priorities; collaborative work style; experience in program/project planning and teaching. Become knowledgeable about Federal Regulations (DOE work college regulations) and how these regulations must be implemented.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://myberea.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=154