Associate Dean for Faculty Development and Administrative Affairs
Florida State University Panama City in Florida
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||March 17, 2017|
Florida State University Panama City
invites applications and nominations for
Associate Dean for Faculty Development and Administrative Affairs
The Leadership Opportunity
Florida State University is one of two preeminent universities in Florida. One of the nation’s elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the liberal arts.
The University’s Panama City campus is located 100 miles from the main campus in Tallahassee. The regional campus offers 15 undergraduate degree programs, including crime scene investigation, a new major in public safety and security; six graduate degree programs, including new graduate degrees in nurse anesthesia and civil engineering; and three certificate programs including, a new graduate certificate in law enforcement intelligence.
Complete information is available in the Search Profile at http://www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/FSUPC-AssocDean.pdf
The Associate Dean for Faculty Development and Administrative Affairs (Associate Dean) at Florida State University Panama City is a 12-month, full-time, non-tenure track administrative position that reports to the Dean of the Campus. This academic administrator represents the campus in the absence of the Dean and aids the Dean and the University with developing the vision, goals, plans, and activities needed to ensure that efforts toward growing enrollment, enhancing student success, and overseeing administrative services are effectively and efficiently managed.
The Associate Dean will work with faculty and the community in developing new academic programs and assisting with accreditation and compliance. This academic administrator together with the Dean and the Associate Dean will help lead a team comprised of the College of Applied Studies, Office of Advancement, Contracts & Grants, Finance & Administration, Public Safety, Student Affairs, and Technical Services.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Developing a strategic enrollment and administrative management plan while effectively leveraging current campus resources
- Assisting with the administration of the College of Applied Studies, the FSU Panama City Distance Learning Programs and other academic programs offered at the campus.
- Leading efforts and developing initiatives for growing student enrollment (undergraduate and graduate) in all academic programs
- Working with faculty and staff to expand geographic, cultural, and economic diversity on campus
- Overseeing initiatives directed toward student success and retention
- Developing and implementing strategies and developing new initiatives to support key areas of the campus, to include future growth and client service enhancements
- Overseeing all processes, compliance, and financial reporting requirements consistent with providing excellent customer service in the assigned areas
A master’s degree is required, and a doctoral or terminal degree is preferred. Candidate must have at least five years of experience in educational administration at or above the level of program director or department chair.
The successful candidate will have experience integrating and analyzing data and developing data-driven strategies.
Candidates also should possess these qualities:
- Excellent public speaking and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with faculty, staff, and community members in the academic and professional environment
- A commitment to diversity
- Experience with overseeing or developing procedures for seeking or maintaining accreditation and ensuring compliance to university policies
- Ability to actively and clearly communicate to individuals of all levels within an organization, including the ability to clearly explain University policy and priorities to all stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, solve problems, prioritize resources, and meet deadlines in a shared governance system
- Experience exercising sound professional judgment, particularly in areas that require sensitivity, confidentiality, and discretion
- Expertise in strategic planning
Preferred qualifications include:
- Knowledge of unique needs of students and faculty in a branch campus environment
- Experience with distance education and technology
- Experience with program, curriculum, and course development
- Demonstrated ability to develop and oversee implementation of new ideas and initiatives
- Experience with writing and submitting grant applications
- Knowledge of regional and/or specialty accreditation
- Management experience of numerous, complex tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to lead groups successfully in project management
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Mission of Florida State University
Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts. The University is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, creative endeavors, and service. The University strives to instill the strength, skill, and character essential for lifelong learning, personal responsibility, and sustained achievement within a community that fosters free inquiry and embraces diversity.
Florida State University
A dynamic, competitive, elite research institution, Florida State University is world-renowned for the quality of its faculty and academic programs and its focus on developing graduates who are innovators and leaders. Founded in 1851 in Tallahassee, the University has more than 41,400 students, with a 93 percent retention rate for freshman and a 79.4 percent graduation rate by sixth year.
From its excellence in the sciences, arts, and humanities to a service-learning mission that is a model for the nation, Florida State University is widely known for offering an outstanding academic environment. FSU is one of only two universities in the state to be designated as a preeminent university for meeting rigorous standards of excellence.
FSU Panama City
In 1972, the Florida Board of Regents directed the University of West Florida to establish a center in Panama City. Classes in elementary education began that summer.
In 1976, the Bay County Commission purchased 17.5 acres between Gulf Coast Community College and the waters of North Bay for use by the center. In 1981, the commission donated an additional 2.54 acres and three buildings.
Florida State University accepted responsibility for the Panama City campus in fall 1982. In 1983, construction of new campus facilities began and were ready for student use in January 1987. The state also deeded 5.62 additional acres to the campus this year.
Full-time, daytime undergraduate programs began fall 2000 and since then the campus has grown. The Bland Conference Center was completed in 2000, the Administrative Services Center in 2007 and the Holley Academic Center in 2009.
The College of Applied Studies, which was established as FSU’s newest college in 2010, admitted its first freshman class in fall 2013.
Students enrolled at the Panama City campus are served by more than 40 full-time, resident faculty, plus additional faculty who travel from the Tallahassee campus. Faculty members bring professional backgrounds in the fields they teach, bringing real-world experience, research, and professional connections to the classroom.
The Panama City campus strives to offer a personalized university experience. With a 20:1 student-to-faculty ratio, classes are relatively small, thereby permitting an individualized approach to instruction and facilitating interaction between students and faculty.
The regional campus annually serves approximately 1,850 students, of which 85 percent are undergraduates. More than half of the students are 17 to 25 years old.
FSU Panama City is a veteran-friendly campus. Student veteran enrollment increased by more than 75 percent from spring 2015 through spring 2016.
Undergraduates may complete their entire bachelor’s degree at the Panama City campus in the programs offered or may transfer to the Tallahassee campus for other programs.
The online computer science bachelor’s degree program, housed at FSU Panama City, is best among both public and private universities by BestColleges.com for 2015.
The Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) program at FSU Panama City is No. 1 for Behavior Analyst Certification Board pass rates for 2015. Many ABA students get hands-on experience with children with developmental delays and disabilities through the FSU Early Childhood Autism Program (ECAP) clinic.
Divers with the underwater crime scene investigation program have been called out on active cases and have trained divers with the military, FBI, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation, and other professional Public Safety Diver programs throughout the nation.
On average, 75 percent of students at FSU Panama City receive financial aid. There are 85 endowed scholarships, totaling more than $4.8 million, which are awarded to students.
FSU Panama City offers a diverse student life with campus celebrations, networking opportunities, cultural events, and guest lecturers. Student Government Council, registered student organizations and student clubs create unique ways for students to share common interests, create new experiences, and form lifelong friendships.
Panama City, Bay County, Florida
Located in the Florida panhandle, Bay County has a population of approximately 180,000. The area’s popular white sand beaches provide great opportunities for swimming, surfing, kayaking, canoeing, fishing, and diving.
With the friendliness of a small town, Panama City has a high quality of life and attractive housing. The city offers shopping, dining, entertainment, and arts and culture. From golfing and diving excursions to visits to the zoo, marine park, or museums, the area has many activities and attractions to enjoy.
Bay County is home to two military installations: the Naval Support Activity (NSA) and Tyndall Air Force Base. The NSA employs approximately 2,800 civilian and military personnel, and is one of the area’s largest employers.
The city is approximately 170 miles east of Mobile, Alabama, 95 miles east of Pensacola, Florida, and 100 miles southwest of Tallahassee, Florida.
Applications and Nominations
Confidential inquiries are welcomed and nominations are invited.
Applications must include:
- a) Letter of interest
- b) Current curriculum vitae
- c) Five professional references with contact information, including emails
- d) Answers to the questions available at:
Submit application materials to: FSU@myersmcrae.com
For best consideration, submit application materials by April 20, 2017.
Nominations should include contact information, including emails, for the individual being nominated. We will contact the person and provide information on the search.
Submit nominations to FSU-Nominate@myersmcrae.com.
Emily Parker Myers, CEO of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, is assisting Florida State University Panama City with this search.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled
& Veteran Employer. FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200
Macon, Georgia 31201
(478) 330-6222 | www.myersmcrae.com
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to FSU@myersmcrae.com
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.