Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Graduate and Extended Learning
SUNY New Paltz in New York
|Deadline||April 14, 2017|
|Date Posted||March 17, 2017|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
The State University of New York at New Paltz (SUNY New Paltz), one of the founding schools in the SUNY system, created in 1948, is seeking an Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Graduate and Extended Learning. The AVP will provide leadership and vision for The Graduate School, including more than 50 exceptional programs in business, education, computer science, engineering, fine arts, music therapy, and the liberal arts. Extended Learning programs include: distance and online learning; continuing education courses and institutes for teachers, school administrators, and professionals; courses at off-campus sites; the University in the High School and the Lifetime Learning Institute, a member-led educational organization affiliated with the College. More information about SUNY New Paltz can be found at www.newpaltz.edu.
The AVP will collaborate with the Academic Deans and faculty to enhance and expand graduate, and extended learning offerings, including those offered in a variety of modalities and locations. The Assistant Vice President will work with staff and community members to analyze market opportunities and challenges present in the goals of providing additional educational opportunities to diverse learners in the region and beyond; increasing enrollment in graduate and extended learning programs; and enhancing the reputation and reach of the College. In these efforts, the AVP will work closely with the Dean of International Programs to support and encourage enrollments by international students in undergraduate and graduate programs. As the operational leader of graduate and extended learning programs, the AVP will guide development of pedagogy for online and hybrid coursework, and help to determine best practices for linking extended and graduate learning opportunities to current undergraduate and graduate offerings.
The Assistant Vice President reports to the Provost, is a member of the Provost’s Senior Staff and Academic Deans’ Council, and contributes to the collaborative efforts of the leadership team. The Assistant Vice President’s responsibilities will include:
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for graduate, extended learning, supporting the College mission and the goals of the University’s strategic plan;
- Lead the development and enhancement of programs and services that meet the educational needs of students and employers;
- Promote excellence in graduate research and creative activity;
- Develop opportunities for graduate assistantships and scholarships;
- Provide oversight and leadership for graduate recruiting and increase student enrollment in graduate and extended programs;
- Promote and support excellence in instruction by providing opportunities, in collaboration with other units, for professional development, training, and assessment;
- Represent Graduate and Extended Learning to internal and external constituencies, providing information and connection to facilitate a positive image of the division and its offerings, as well as SUNY New Paltz;
- Manage the budgetary resources for the division and develop sound fiscal plans to support the division and contribute to the overall financial health of the College;
- Supervise, support, and develop personnel in Graduate and Extended Learning.
Essential qualifications include:
- Terminal degree in subject area field represented at SUNY New Paltz;
- Record of scholarly and teaching achievement consistent with tenure expectations of the college;
- Significant and demonstrable experience and success in leading the creation and implementation of innovative, relevant, and sustainable graduate and extended learning programs;
- A record of entrepreneurial, creative approaches to academic program development;
- Deep knowledge of graduate and extended learning issues and best practices, including understanding of challenges and opportunities in online and hybrid modalities;
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Experience in establishing and maintaining partnerships with external organizations and employers;
- Demonstrated success as a collaborative and collegial leader and administrator;
- Strong organizational, assessment, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
SUNY New Paltz is located in the vibrant, historic village (pop. 14,003) in Ulster County and in the beautiful Hudson Valley region, midway between Albany and New York City. Recently undergoing an economic growth spurt, the area is an attractive location for emerging businesses. Lower costs of doing business in the form of labor, real estate and taxes are luring some businesses to the area from more expensive areas in the region. Crime is low, and the cost of living is moderate for the region but high on a national scale, as are median home prices. The setting is attractive with the beauty of the nearby Catskill Mountains, the Hudson River, and the Ashokan Reservoir, each providing recreation and family activities. The area offers excellent schools, safe neighborhoods, excellent cuisine, wineries, and numerous cultural opportunities. Country, suburban, and small town living options are available, as well as the option for two-income employment from Albany to New York City.
A full profile for the position is currently being completed and will be available soon.
SUNY New Paltz has partnered with national search firm, Academic Search, to assist with the search process. Inquiries and nominations should be directed to Kate Nolde, Senior Consultant, at email@example.com. To apply, please provide a cover letter and CV/resume as well as contact information for at least five references (not to be contacted without prior approval) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of candidates will begin April 10, 2017. Applications will be accepted through April 14, 2017. The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to email@example.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.