SYSTEMS SUPPORT PRINCIPAL (IT)
Arizona State University in District of Columbia
|Deadline||March 28, 2017|
|Date Posted||March 16, 2017|
Systems Support Principal (IT)
Arizona State University
Off campus: Washington DC
Requisition Id# 30646BR
Depends on experience
This position provides the highest level of technology support to faculty and staff at the ASU sites, including the McCain Institute, located in Washington DC. Technology services supporting these sites include desktop and “deskside” support for all types of computers and mobile devices, application support for office applications, conference room technology design and support, video-conferencing support, and technology support for special events, venues, and forums where the university President and other dignitaries will be in attendance. This is a highly visible and highly interactive, senior level leadership position in the University Technology Office requiring superior technical skills, professionalism, and the ability to collaborate, be adaptable and flexible, and resourceful while working under pressure to support staff and events and be able to quickly anticipate or resolve problems. This position will be co-located with other systems support staff including an Instructional Technology Analyst responsible for the operation of the Decision Theater in DC, a multi-display collaboration room operated from a control room and fed from local and remove servers. This position will serve as a backup resource to the support analysts in this location when needed.
The position is located in Washington DC, but travel to Tempe, AZ and other locations may be required on occasion.
- Receives, responds to, and monitors status of work requests for technical assistance. Updates incident and request system to reflect activities performed and status of requests to ensure timely completion of work requests in accordance with established expectations.
- Procures, acquires, and configures local and multi-platform personal computer systems, mobile devices, other technologies utilized in the ASU Washington DC offices; installing software and establishing connections to network(s) in accordance with specified standards.
- Troubleshoots hardware and software problems by performing a variety of diagnostic procedures to identify appropriate corrective measures.
- Works with members of the team, and utilizes expertise of resources outside the team, to evaluate, assess, and solve complex and difficult technology problems.
- Provides technical expertise to team and departments as needed; trains staff in use and deployment of technologies including maintenance and troubleshooting techniques.
- Participates in deployment and relocation of computers and associated peripheral equipment.
- Tests upgrades and/or patches to software prior to rollout; prepares report of findings. Provides application assistance to end user as requested; replicates errors, re-sets computers and printers. Connects individual and networked devices to computers; performs initial connectivity test to ensure proper connectivity. Performs a variety of acceptance testing procedures of newly acquired hardware to ensure proper operations.
- Maintains inventory of all loaned laptops, desktop and peripheral equipment and accessories; initiates requests for replacements to ensure availability in accordance with established policy and standards. Traces and trouble-shoots network connectivity problems; notifies appropriate responsible unit(s) based on findings.
- Provides consultation on both hardware and software purchases. Communicates with UTO staff and support teams about support issues, setup and configuration, and new technologies evaluated. Leads technology evaluation projects and recommends technology purchases.
- Creates, updates, and maintains technical documentation. When necessary, provides data recovery on failed storage media.
- Manages student workers including hiring, training, and monitoring daily work as needed.
- Provides technical expertise and support for special events, forums, and venues.
- Assesses needs, problems, and potential issues with regard to technology supporting the faculty, staff, and guests at the ASU Washington DC sites. Ensures that technologies are working sufficiently and are not impeding the ability or progress of the executive office team. Reviews and evaluates existing technologies, and recommends upgrades and replacements.
- Provides backup support to the Decision Theater control room as needed.
Master's degree in Information Technology or closely related field and eight (8) years experience providing diagnostic and trouble-shooting support in a client server, cross platform environment, OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved..
- Experience supporting technologies for senior executives in a highly visible, active, and often hectic office setting
- Experience providing technical support for a college or university President, Provost, or Dean in a higher education setting
- Experience supporting desktop and mobile technologies for an academic or business unit at Arizona State University
- Experiencing supporting video-conferencing technologies such as Vidyo, Zoom, Skype, and Blue Jeans
- Experience using process improvement methods and tools
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching a team of technical support staff including planning work and assessing future needs of the team
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning methods and tools
- Demonstrated knowledge of present day technologies
- Experience performing under pressure and developing solutions quickly
- Experience with Windows, OS X and all mobile environments
- Experience in 365 and Outlook including advance public folders usages, advance usage of calendaring, contact synchronization to multiple platform, distribution list usages, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of information security
- Experience in supporting high profile meetings and events
- Demonstrated knowledge of AV components and computer equipment of different platforms
- Evidence of CTS (Certified Technology Specialist) and/or CTS-I certifications and or combination of certification and experience
- Experience in supporting complex interactive A/V and IT installations for conferencing and presentations
- Experience in training technical and non-technical staff and/or students in the use of technology
- Experience in writing technical and non-technical documentation;
- Experience in supporting research-driven projects in a knowledge enterprise environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of desktop and mobile device and application support
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer and mobile device purchase and setup utilizing different management tools to deploy and manage applications and software
- Demonstrated knowledge of Windows Active Directory, GPOs, SCCM, Deploy Studio, Casper Suite, and other management tools.
- Experience in PowerShell, Bash, Apple Script, and any other scripting language
- Experience supporting technology needs for high level executives in a corporate environment
- Experience in working in a team environment to meet user needs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the practices, methods and tools of project management and process improvement
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work at times in a high demand and high pressure area with professionalism, courtesy, and confidence.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing and walking
- Frequent physical demands may include stooping, bending, crawling under/around objects, reaching, lifting and pushing objects of varying weights up to 50 pounds
- Regularly required to work in cramped and enclosed areas and exposure to variations in temperature when deploying equipment
- Receive review of results and consultative feedback
The mission of the University Technology Office is to provide technology leadership for the New American University. The UTO helps ASU create and maintain innovative technology solutions and services that advance learning and discovery at the University. Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States; ASU UTO will not be a sponsor for this position.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement:
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "External Applicant" under Staff job opportunities, see Req Id# 30646BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&jobId=2815891
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&jobId=2815891