Associate Vice President for University Advancement
Lamar University in Texas
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||March 10, 2017|
announces a National Search for the
Associate Vice President for University Advancement
Lamar University, a member of The Texas State University System, seeks an experienced fundraising professional to provide visionary leadership as the Associate Vice President for University Advancement. This dynamic and energetic leader directs and manages the fundraising activities to achieve Lamar’s mission and potential, emphasizing a comprehensive and integrated approach to philanthropic resource development for the University.
Complete information on this opportunity is available in the Search Profile at http://www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/Lamar-AVP16.pdf
Reporting directly to the Vice President of University Advancement, the Associate Vice President of University Advancement serves as a member of the Advancement leadership team. The Associate Vice President of University Advancement is responsible for planning and managing major and annual giving efforts, including corporate and foundation relations for the University, as well as managing Lamar’s comprehensive campaigns.
The Associate Vice President provides leadership and direction to a team of fundraising professionals and is responsible for developing and implementing professional processes and activities in all areas under his/her supervision. The administrator also provides ongoing staff management, including orientation, performance evaluations, and professional development.
In collaboration with his/her team, the AVP establishes annual plans and goals with metrics to measure success. The officer works with the University Marketing department to develop and implement messages and themes for fundraising.
The Associate Vice President is involved in community outreach as a representative of the University with external constituents in the business, arts, education, and other related communities. Duties also include:
- Providing leadership, direction, and motivation to the professional development staff
- Personally managing a portfolio of major gift prospects and developing and implementing cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Developing strategies and programs necessary to ensure continued success by providing advice, analysis, and recommendations to decision-makers on prioritization, planning, and policy issues in relation to major gift fundraising
- Working closely and in partnership with the President of the University, Vice Presidents, Deans, faculty, staff, and volunteers to implement and achieve the goals of the development operation
- Developing short- and long-range strategic plans for fundraising efforts for the University
- Developing regular means for assessing plans and goals for each area of responsibility
- Preparing and presenting reports related to areas of responsibility
- Actively participating on the Advancement senior leadership team and collaborating with other colleagues in development, alumni relations, Foundation, and advancement services and prospect research to increase contacts and fundraising totals
A bachelor’s degree and 10 years of substantial, progressively responsible and successful principal and major gifts fundraising experience are required. A combination of education and experience may be considered. Travel and weekend/evening work are required.
The preferred candidate will have:
- Higher education fundraising experience
- Proven management experience of development professionals and support staff
- Demonstrated success in working with volunteer leadership
- Experience planning and executing a comprehensive campaign; fundraising experience in a complex university and prior experience working with a major gift program
About Lamar University
Home to nearly 15,000 students, Lamar University is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. Founded in 1923, LU offers more than 100 programs of study leading to bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees.
Lamar stresses academic achievement by emphasizing hands-on learning at all levels, providing ample opportunities for undergraduate research, and supporting an excellent Honors Program. LU was recently designated as a Carnegie Doctoral Research University, one of only 29 public schools in the nation to receive this designation.
Lamar’s athletic program has more than a dozen NCAA Division I sports. The Cardinals compete in the Southland Conference and have a history of winning championships.
The 270-acre campus in Beaumont is about 90 miles east of Houston and about 25 miles west of Louisiana. Its location provides easy access to the activities and opportunities of a large city.
About University Advancement
Lamar’s University Advancement Division is dedicated to building awareness, community, tradition, involvement, advocacy, and contribution among its constituents in order to strengthen the programs of the University. While a part of the University, LU’s Development staff works closely with the Lamar University Foundation.
The University’s first-ever comprehensive campaign, Investing In The Future: The Campaign for Lamar University, concluded in 2013. It successfully surpassed its goal by raising more than $132 million.
Applications & Nominations
Applications must include:1) letter of interest, 2) resume, 3) at least five references with full contact information, including emails, 4) answers to the questions at: www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/MMQuestions.pdf
Submit applications to: Lamar-AVP@myersmcrae.com
Nominations should include contact information, including emails, for the individual being nominated. Submit nominations to: Lamarfirstname.lastname@example.org
Confidential review of materials begins immediately and continues until the appointment is made.
Kenny Daugherty, Executive Vice President of McRae Executive Search and Consulting, is assisting Lamar University with this search.
Lamar University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educational institution, and employer. Lamar University will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity, consistent with the Assurance of Compliance with the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; Executive Order 11246 as issued and amended; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, as amended; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200, Macon, Georgia 31201
(478) 330-6222 | www.myersmcrae.com
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to Lamar-AVP@myersmcrae.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.