Associate Dean For Libraries' Education and User Services
Western Michigan University Libraries in Michigan
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||March 10, 2017|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Western Michigan University Libraries Associate Dean for Education and User Services
Western Michigan University (WMU) Libraries seeks an innovative, collaborative, service-oriented leader as Associate Dean for Libraries Education and User Services. The successful candidate will play a key role in developing user-focused library information services that support the University’s mission, its evolving academic programs, research interests and user needs.
Reporting to the Dean of Libraries, this position supports the libraries’ mission,vision, and strategic goals, and provides leadership and direction for the libraries’ educational programming and user services. The Associate Dean serves in a co-chair capacity, allocating the workload for and evaluating a team of faculty librarians responsible for providing outreach, instruction, consultation services, and collection development support to academic departments. The Associate Dean leads a coordinated team responsible for delivering high-quality, responsive, and integrated user services. As a member of the administrative team, this position participates in library-wide planning, assessment, budgeting, and decision-making and makes sure resources are aligned with identified priorities.
- Serves as an active member of the libraries leadership team, participating in planning, assessment, budgeting, and broad decision-making
- Leads the User Services department, composed of circulation, interlibrary loan, reserves, general public computing support, ready reference services, facility use, and day-to-day safety and security
- Leads the Liaison/Education department and facilitates growth of the liaison programming, including outreach to academic departments and support units, instruction, consultation services, and collection development support
- Informs and supports the efforts of Resource Management, Research Services, and IT Services
- Fosters collaboration across all library departments
- Serves as a co-chair, allocating faculty librarian workload and evaluating performance for tenure and promotion reviews
- Actively anticipates and supports user needs and priorities, and designs and implements innovative and responsive services to address needs
- Seeks to continually improve and optimize services
- Develops partnerships with academic and student services units to further student success and support university goals
- Represents the libraries on appropriate groups and committees and as a substitute for the dean when needed
- Conducts research and engages in scholarship to advance the libraries and the profession
- Participates in appropriate state, regional, and national professional associations
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program
- 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in an academic library related to user services and/or instruction
- Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent user services
- Ability to foster a collaborative team work environment, manage change, and resolve conflict
- Demonstrated experience and skill in cultivating partnerships and collaborations with individuals and groups within and beyond the library
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends and issues in higher education
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends and issues in academic libraries
- Knowledge of the spectrum of user needs within a research university
- Respect for diversity and ability to work with and consider the needs of diverse groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Record of significant scholarly and professional activities and
research that warrants tenure at the rank of associate professor
- Experience working with Ex Libris Alma and Primo platforms
- Development and grant-writing experience
APPOINTMENT AND COMPENSATION: Full-time
twelve (12) months fiscal year tenured appointment. Minimum:
$100,000 for Associate Dean position plus generous benefits.
Rank and salary is commensurate with qualifications and
experience. While the position is an administrative
appointment, faculty will have input in the hiring process, and the
continuing evaluation process.
Cover letter, vita, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) references must be sent online to: http://www.wmich.edu/hr/jobs. Applications should be received by April 28, 2017. Review will continue until the position is filled.
WMU, located in Southwest Michigan, is a vibrant, nationally recognized learner-centered research institution with an enrollment of nearly 25,000. WMU delivers high-quality undergraduate instruction, has a strong graduate division, and fosters significant research activities. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has placed WMU among the 76 public institutions in the nation designated as research universities with high research activities.
With more than 2.5 million total titles, and almost 700 databases, Western Michigan University Libraries is the fourth largest university library system in Michigan and among the top 100 in the country with active instructional and collection development programs. The WMU Libraries are housed at four locations: Dwight B. Waldo Library (Main), the Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center, the Gary and Rita Swain Education Library, and the Harper C. Maybee Music and Dance Library.
Kalamazoo is a wonderful and vibrant city located midway between Chicago and Detroit and 40 minutes from Lake Michigan. With a population of more than 325,000, the Kalamazoo area is the sixth largest metropolitan area in Michigan with many of the amenities found in larger cities such as museums, strong support for the arts, unique restaurants, and microbreweries with the added pleasures of farm-to-table dining and an abundant farmers’ market. The city is family friendly with entertainment and recreational activities including opportunities to enjoy the outdoors for all ages. Kalamazoo is known for its access to quality education at all levels. It is home to two nationally ranked institutions of higher learning, Western Michigan University and Kalamazoo College. The Kalamazoo Promise, a nationally renowned program offering free tuition for Kalamazoo Public School graduates attending public and private colleges in Michigan, is an added bonus for families. At the other end of the educational continuum, the Kalamazoo Ready 4s program ensures that every 4-year-old in Kalamazoo County has the opportunity to attend a high-quality pre-kindergarten program, regardless of ability to pay.
Western Michigan University (WMU) seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of learning and growing in wisdom. WMU is strongly dedicated to the pursuit of excellence by including and integrating individuals who represent different groups as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, age, disability, national origin, religion and veteran status.
Western Michigan University is an Equal Employment Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans, and actively strives to increase diversity within its community. We provide a drug- and tobacco-free workplace. EEO Minorities/Women/Disabled/Protected Veterans
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://www.wmich.edu/hr/jobs