Dean of the College of Business & Technology
Northeastern State University in Oklahoma
|Deadline||April 12, 2017|
|Date Posted||March 9, 2017|
Northeastern State University
Invites Applications and Nominations for the
Dean of the College of Business & Technology
Northeastern State University, a multi-campus, public university serving northeastern Oklahoma, is accepting applications and nominations for Dean of the College of Business & Technology. The Dean reports directly to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Complete information is available in the Search Profile at http://www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/NSUOK-Bus.pdf
Northeastern State University (NSU) is Oklahoma’s fourth-largest public institution, with three campuses and online programming. As the oldest institution of higher education in Oklahoma, NSU offers strong academics focused on career readiness and aligns its academic programs with the needs of Oklahoma businesses and communities.
With an enrollment of nearly 9,000 students, the University offers 58 undergraduate and 25 graduate degree programs across seven colleges. Creating a close-knit community, the faculty and staff provide a student-centered learning environment that enables students to realize their potential.
The University has 334 full-time and 134 part-time faculty. The 17:1 student-to-faculty ratio provides a small college feel within a comprehensive university setting.
Since its founding in 1909 on the site of the Cherokee National Female Seminary, NSU has had a deeply rooted connection with the Indian Nations that it serves. The University has the highest enrollment of American Indian students of any public, four-year, higher education institution in the country. In the 22nd Annual Winds of Change Special College Issue (2015-2016), NSU was ranked as a top four-year college serving American Indians.
American Indian students make up more than 30 percent of the enrollment at NSU and within the student population, more than 30 tribes are represented. Both NSU and the Indian Nations celebrate the diverse cultures represented across each campus.
Visit the university website at www.nsuok.edu.
The Dean of the College of Business & Technology is an exceptional leadership opportunity to create and realize a vision for an innovative and progressive business program. The College has 1,654 undergraduate and 230 graduate students.
Committed to preparing students with high-quality degrees and professional expertise that put them in demand with area employers, the College of Business & Technology offers 13 undergraduate programs and four graduate programs. Classes are offered on both NSU’s Tahlequah and Broken Arrow campuses using traditional, blended, and online delivery methods. The relatively small class sizes allow students to regularly interact with faculty.
NSU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. In addition, the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) accredits all bachelor of business administration (BBA) degrees as well as the Master of Business Administration and the Master of Science in Accounting and Financial Analysis.
The Dean is the chief administrative officer for the College and has responsibilities in strategic planning, enrollment and budget management, curriculum and program development, external relations and fundraising, tenure and promotion, supervision and evaluation of staff, program assessment, and accreditation.
The Dean will:
- Enhance and pursue to realization the vision and the mission of the College
- Adhere to shared governance philosophies
- Promote faculty and student successes to internal and external audiences
- Recruit, retain, and develop an outstanding faculty and staff
- Provide vision and leadership in fiscal matters, particularly in budget discipline
- Pursue faculty, staff, and student diversification
- Develop new courses, degrees, and programming consistent with the needs of the NSU service area and the NSU mission
- Focus on enrollment management initiatives and program growth
- Oversee program review, assessment, and all related accreditations
- Promote innovation and entrepreneurism
- Pursue development activities and fundraising
- Collaborate with business and industry
- Enhance career services and professional opportunities for students
- Foster partnerships with area high schools, colleges, and universities
Candidates must have an earned doctorate in a degree offered within the College and possess professional credentials and accomplishments to qualify for the rank of full professor. A minimum of three years of experience in academic administration at the level of department chair or higher is required.
Additional qualifications include:
- Ability to create a vision for the College and a practical understanding of strategic planning strategies
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship skills with the ability to motivate faculty and staff and develop a collaborative environment that engages the entire institution, students, and external partners and friends
- Experience with budget development and the principles of sound fiscal management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to articulate clearly the vision and mission of the College to internal and external audiences
- Experience with classroom practices, teaching methodologies, scholarly activities, and the development of faculty and staff
- Ability to appropriately delegate responsibility, make timely decisions, and solve problems
- Willingness to participate in development and fundraising activities
Tahlequah is rated as one of America’s top small cities, with a great overall quality of life and affordable housing. The city is the capital of the Cherokee Nation and the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians and where the tribes’ western migration ended in 1839.
Rebuilding their civilization after relocation, the Cherokees established a progressive system of tribal government and public education. This unique history results in a rich and active heritage celebrated through Native American art and crafts and the Cherokee Village. The Cherokee Heritage Center is housed in the J.T. Nickel Family Nature and Wildlife Preserve, a 17,000-acre nature park.
The beautiful countryside of hills and forest, along with the Illinois River and nearby Lake Tenkiller, create an ideal area for a wide variety of outdoor activities, such as backpacking, camping, horseback riding, fishing, boating, scuba diving, and water skiing. Festival and cultural events are held year-round.
The easy 70-mile commute to Tulsa provides ample access to metro area arts, entertainment, museums, dining, sports, a zoo, and shopping.
Application and Nomination Process
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
To Apply - Application packet must include:
- a) A letter of interest
- b) Current curriculum vitae
- c) At least five references with contact information, including emails
(References will not be contacted without consent from applicants.)
- d) Your answers to the required questions at
Submit application packet to NSUOK-Bus@myersmcrae.com
For best consideration, submit applications by April 12, 2017.
Nominations should include contact information for the individual being nominated. Submit nominations to NSUOK-NominateBus@myersmcrae.com.
Alan Medders, President of Myers McRae Executive Search, is conducting this search.
Myers McRae Executive Search
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200, Macon, Georgia 31201
(478) 330-6222 | www.myersmcrae.com
Northeastern State University is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce as an essential part of excellence in faculty and staff at the University, and complies with Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and equal employment opportunity for VEVRRA protected veterans. NSU actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply for any opening at NSU.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to NSUOK-Bus@myersmcrae.com
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.